Boise State’s GBF: Gay Lingo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Welcome back to the second edition of Boise State’s GBF. If you missed the first installment, click here to read it!

This week, I’m going to teach you some basics about gay culture.

Here’s a hypothetical situation:

You have a gay friend with whom everything is going splendid. You go on coffee dates, go shopping together, and have some great girls and gays nights. But one day, all of a sudden, he bumps into one of his friends. They start talking and using their “glingo,” as Tyler Oakley calls it, and you can’t keep up. 

Well, here is the answer to your problems: a simplified list of gay terms, used by many gays.

Disclaimer: this is not a fool-proof guide and not all gays use the following terminology.

Bear – a hairy, grown man; usually has a beard; usually stocky. 

Bottom – submissive in the relationship.

Cub – a man transitioning into a bear.

Fab – short for fabulous. 

Flamming – an extremely flamboyant gay.

Google Chat – Grindr app; a gay networking app to meet gays close by; can be for hook-ups or LTR’s.

Kiki – a gay version of a sleepover.

LTR – long-term relationship.

Play – sexual activity that involves S&M; often said in the google chat forum.

Throwing Shade – a backhanded insult; the cattiest form of insults.

Top – to dominate in the relationship.

Twink – a young skinny boy; usually a bottom.

Yestergay – gay who has turned straight; can be permanent or just a passing phase. 

Until next time.

Peace out, Perry. 

Perry Truong

Boise State

Perry Truong, you can call him Per-Bear, is a freshman here at Boise State, studying Marketing. He is from a small town in southern Washington near the Portland area. On campus, you may see him pigging out at the BRC or longboarding around the greenbelt, but no matter where you see him, there will be a smile on his face.Favorite quote: Don't let the plan get in the way of the journey.