6 Ways to Stay Focused After Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Spring Break is officially over, which means it’s time to begin the final push until summer. For some, the final month-and-a-half is all “downhill”: it’s easier to stay focused, knowing that final exams are just around the corner and the semester is nearly finished. For others, this time of the year is the most difficult: there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, for sure, but it’s still so far away! If you have vacation on the mind and are struggling to stay on task, here are six tips to help maintain your focus after Spring Break. 

1. Download Apps

If you don’t already, use your smartphone to help you stay on top of assignments and due dates! iStudiez Pro ($2.99, App Store) is a top pick for students. It allows you to input your class times, professors’ email and office hours, and most importantly, assignment due dates and test days. Another similar and free option for the iPhone is myHomework Student Planner (Free, App Store). For Android users, try Studious (Free, Google Play Store). 

2. Give Yourself a Break 

Pushing yourself too hard without any sort of reward for completing assignments is a recipe for disaster! Whether it’s grabbing your roommate and heading to Starbucks for a quick coffee date or spending ten minutes refreshing your Twitter feed, taking quick and frequent breaks can help you refresh your brain and maintain study focus longer. 

3. Enlist a Friend.

Find someone– a roommate, a boyfriend or a classmate– to study with. If you work together, studying can seem like less of a burden. Sweeten the deal by rewarding yourselves after a successful study session. Teaming up with a classmate is especially helpful, because you two can quiz each other and learn the material faster in tandem than if you were on your own. 

4. Stay in Shape.

Take your mind of school and destress by hitting the Rec. As a bonus, staying in shape will give you one less thing to worry about. If the Rec is getting boring, try going for a bike ride on the Greenbelt or going on a long hike in the foothills with some friends.

5. Try a Change of Scenery. 

Studying in the exact same place all the time can get boring– which is one thing the whole “studying” business does not need. If you constantly study in the dorms, try the library. If you always hit the third floor of the library, try the ILC– if you don’t mind the coffee maker constantly grinding– or the lobby of the new Micron Business Building. If you enjoy people watching and sun-tanning, head out to the Quad on a sunny day. 

6. Talk to Your Professors.

Your professors are there for a reason: to help you succeed. Taking advantage of their office hours can be extremely beneficial for a few reasons. First of all, they can provide insight on the material you’re studying that you wouldn’t get in lecture. Your professors can help further your understanding of the material in advance of final exams and to succeed in class. Secondly, most of the professors here at Boise State have led very interesting lives, and it’s always a fun study break to hear some of their stories. Lastly, making connections with professors or any faculty at Boise State can help you out in the longterm– for recommendation letters for graduate or a job after college, for example.  

There’s not much left of the semester (5 weeeks, if you’re counting), but for some of us, the final stretch is the hardest part. Use these tips to help you finish off the semester strong before a well-deserved summer vacation. Stay focused, Broncos! 

Have other tips on staying focused that you want to share? Email katiemeikle@hercampus.com.

Katie Meikle

Boise State

Katie Meikle, also known as Meeks, Meikle or Pumpkin, is a junior and transfer student from Tufts University in Boston, currently studying health sciences at Boise State. Although a Boise native, Katie spent her entire high school career overseas, split between Japan and Taiwan. Katie's writing interests include fashion, healthy eating, mixology, and campus cuties... of course! She loves the great outdoors, traveling, her two dogs, Lexi and Hobbs, days at the beach, walks on sunny days, and her mom's cooking. Favorite quote: don't be a drag, just be a queen.