6 Packing Essentials for Summer Travel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Summer vacation is almost upon us, and many of us are getting ready to jet off to a fun vacation in the sun. Besides your typical t-shirts and shorts, there are some items that are absolutely necessary to guarantee fun in the sun. Pack accordingly!

1. Sunscreen

If you are going to be hanging out in the sunshine for any length of time, sunscreen is essential. It is no secret that prolonged sun exposure has some not-so-fun consequences– one of the most severe of which is skin cancer. Don’t risk it! Make sure you are using at least SPF 30 and a water-proof sunscreen if you are going to be at the beach. It may be tempting to use sunscreens in the SPF 100 range, but keep in mind that although the number is much higher, these sunscreens do not actually provide that much added protection. Remember to reapply every hour!

2. Trendy sandals

Sandals are perfect for summer weather: you can slip them on and off easily while you’re hanging poolside, and they don’t take up a ton of room in your suitcase! Sandals are also a great way to show off your fashion sense. Gladiator sandals are really popular right now, and there are all types out there. If you are a plain-Jane kind of girl, there are plenty of simpler sandal styles, too. If you’re a little more daring, try some crazy knee-high gladiators or sandals with bright colors, sparkles, and ties. 
3. Swim suit 

This may seem like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised how many people forget bathing suits and have to buy them at the resort for outrageous prices! Victoria’s Secret has amazing swimsuits in all different sizes and colors. If you are looking to save a little money, try Forever21 or even Target for the latest swimsuit styles. Remember to look for a swim suit that is supportive, has good coverage, AND reflects your personal style. 

4. Books

Relaxing on the beach or by the pool is the perfect opportunity to catch up on some reading. We recommend Divergent as a summer read this year– and you can beat the heat later in your trip by renting the movie as well. 

Another good read is The Fault in Our Stars— and the much-anticipated film (incidentally with much of the same cast as Divergent) comes out June 6th! 

5. Floppy hat

Hats are a must for anyone spending time in the sun! And floppy hats, well– they are completely retro stylish. AND they provide additional much-needed sun protection and shade, so you don’t have to squint constantly while enjoying your sun-time.
6. Camera and charger

Because how else are you going to document all of your amazing summer-time memories, so you can relive them later? Make sure you don’t forget your charger, though– that would be a real bummer to arrive in Europe (or some other exciting and exotic destination) with a dead camera.

Summer vacation is one of the most anticipated times of the year– for good reason! Just make sure you’ve packed the essentials so you can enjoy your vacation to the fullest. 

Katie Meikle

Boise State

Katie Meikle, also known as Meeks, Meikle or Pumpkin, is a junior and transfer student from Tufts University in Boston, currently studying health sciences at Boise State. Although a Boise native, Katie spent her entire high school career overseas, split between Japan and Taiwan. Katie's writing interests include fashion, healthy eating, mixology, and campus cuties... of course! She loves the great outdoors, traveling, her two dogs, Lexi and Hobbs, days at the beach, walks on sunny days, and her mom's cooking. Favorite quote: don't be a drag, just be a queen.