Size 10 Is The New Black

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

So, here’s the thing: My whole life, I’ve struggled with my weight. I’m a 21-year-old size 12 right now. When I was in kindergarten, I would eat the whole lunch my mom had packed for me as a snack. Then, I would complain to the lunch ladies that I didn’t have food.

So, of course, they would make me a second lunch. I blew up like a balloon. Four meals a day are not healthy for a growing child.

I jokingly admit I was an overweight child, but things changed with age. As I grew up, puberty hit. I began to even out. But, I wasn’t like the “other girls.” I would never be a size 2, and it was one of the hardest things for me to accept.

I was constantly made fun of by the boys in my class, which is something you never forget, not even eight years later. Even the girls had their fair share of comments. I kept most of them to myself because I didn’t know who to turn to. Bullying blows, and unfortunately, it doesn’t disappear with age.

My ex and I broke up over the summer. When he came back for the third time, he got pissed I wouldn’t take him back. He told me I got fat.

Excuse me, but what the actual f*ck? I was hurt for at least a week. I couldn’t believe he had used my biggest insecurity against me. I let it go and moved on because I’m not the kind to get revenge.

A few months later, I was on Tinder. I matched with a guy. I wasn’t really looking for anything. Honestly, I just needed a confidence boost. Well, he was clearly an angry individual. When I said I didn’t know what I wanted, his response was, “OK, you’re chubby anyway.” It’s pretty safe to say I deleted Tinder after that.

I let these comments affect me my whole life. But here’s a wake-up call to society: Times are changing. I’m all for being fit and healthy, but some women are not built to be size 2. I’m one of them. I have brawny shoulders and a huge ass that doesn’t allow a size smaller than 12 to go over it, and I’ve finally come to terms with it.

Shortly after the Tinder debacle, I saw the Sports Illustrated cover with Ashley Graham. She’s such an inspiration to all women, and this really showed me it’s OK to be comfortable with my own body.

For all the women who share the same insecurities as I do, know you aren’t alone. Remember that.

I currently live with five beautiful young women. We’re all seniors in college, and they’re all going to change the world. They are all smaller than a size 6. Yet, when we get ready on the weekends, they get very insecure.

I don’t see them at all. “This outfit makes me look fat. ” Come on girl, give me a break.

It’s amazing how the tables can turn. We all have something about ourselves we don’t love. So, never judge a book by its cover.

At the end of the day, you should love yourself for who you are and how you look. You’re beautiful in every way. Don’t let anyone tell you differently.

Hi, guys! I'm JB and I am Campus Correspondent for Her Campus BloomU!