This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Richard Perry is a senior Communication Studies major and one outstanding wrestler! On January 25, 2014 he won his 100th career match!!!! In case you weren’t aware, wrestling is the only Division I sport at BU so that’s pretty amazing that Richard is a D1 athlete with 100 career wins. 

HC: What did it feel like to win your 100th match?

RP: I didn’t know I was close to 100 wins until I got to around 96 and a teammate brought it to my attention. It felt great though! It’s an honor to be able to say I’m part of a special group of guys. It motivates me to continue to try to reach the highest honors wrestling has to offer.

HC: Who has influenced you the most throughout your wrestling career?

RP: I have to give all my praises to God first and foremost because I have had my battles to get to this point on and off the mat. It hasn’t been easy but I’ve kept the faith and I never quit on myself and I haven’t quit on my goal to be a national champion. I can’t name any one individual because I have coaches, family and friends who are family, all who have sacrificed so much to get me to this point and to help poist me in the direction I am going. To give one person credit isn’t possible. They say it takes a village to raise a child. I have my village and I am so grateful for all of them!

HC: What has been your favorite moment as a member of the BU wrestling team?

RP: My favorite moment is when I’m working with kids and they come up to me like I’m a star, asking for my autograph and pictures. They look at me not knowing what to say and when I talk to them they are so shy. It makes me feel special. I really love working with kids not only wrestling but being able to mentor the youth is really important to me.

HC: How long have you been wrestling?

RP: I started wrestling my junior year in high school but I’m a 5th year senior, so I haven’t been wrestling as long as most of the guys at this level.

HC: What is the best part about being a BU athlete?

RP: The best part about being a BU athlete is the bonds I have made throughout my time at Bloom. I have met people through the Athletic Department that have stuck by me through my highs and lows. The support I have from the staff and other athletes makes me really want to do great things for BU. I have met people who are now my family and I will continue to share laughs and smiles with them. 

To watch Richard and the rest of the wrestling team continue their road to success, check out buhuskies.com to keep up with their schedule and news going on within the team. 

CONGRATS RICH!