An Open Thank You to The Boy Who Lied to My Face

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Dear Liar,

As much as it pains me to have to write this, I would like to say thank you.  You may have lied to me and broke my heart, but you also gave me so much to thank you for.  You made me happy to a new level.  You made me laugh when I thought I couldn’t even smile. You made me so very happy and I cannot thank you enough for that.  I will not forget the memories we have, and I will try my best not to hold against you what I know now.  The other side of this story is thank you. Thank you for giving me proof that I am stronger than I believed. Thank you for giving me a reason to believe that I can stand up for myself even when I am hurting and afraid.  Thank you for proving that I do not have to tolerate it when the next boy lies to me.  Thank you for proving to me that I can be the one who advocates for myself and tells it like it is.  Thank you for proving to me just how much stronger I am than I ever thought I could be.  I will not lie (HA see what I did there) and say that this break up didn’t hurt, or that it didn’t mean anything, or that it wasn’t hard.  It was hard. It does hurt. It did mean something.  I still care about you whether I want to or not.  But I also know that I cannot continue to put myself through your manipulation when I am fully aware of how much better I can do.  I will not tell you that I don’t want you back already. I do. But I also won’t tell you that I truly want to date you.  This whole ordeal has shown me that I can put the pieces together and figure out when someone is messing with me and my feelings, that I can handle unexpected realities being thrown my way, that I can be strong and stand up for myself.  The friend that was there for me through the entire process and situation, that played with my hair, rubbed my back, and wiped away my tears, hugged me tight and said “I am so sorry, but I am also not at all sorry because I am so proud of you. Don’t forget what you did tonight, and do not be afraid to do it again if you have to.” It was in that moment that I realized, no, I don’t need to let myself be walked all over; no I don’t need to have someone that lies to me just to say I have someone.  That being said, thank you. Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart for the lessons you taught me by hurting me.  I wish you the best. I’ll see you on the flipside I suppose.

Sincerely,

The girl you made stronger. 

My name is Blaire Barnhart and I am a Speech Pathology and Audiology student at Bloomsburg University. However, I've always had a passion for all things fashion and writing, of course! As I make my mark at Bloomsburg I hope to inspire others through my posts.
I am a 23 year old senior at Bloomsburg University. I am a Mass Communications major on the telecommunications track and with a concentration in Public Relations.