Nothing About Me is “Basic”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Society feels the need to label everything and everyone. Quite honestly I think it’s annoying, just let me live my live how I want too and I’ll let you live yours. Okay, cool…? Well at least I tried. One of the latest stereotyping phenomenons that’s spreading like the plague is the “Basic White Girl.” I hate that we define ourselves by the color of our skin, but some things may never change. I’ll sit here and straight up own up to the fact that I’m a “basic” girl as told by this particular stereotyping.

Once I was scrolling through my facebook feed and there was a buzzfeed quiz that said “How much of a basic white girl are you” (something along those lines) so I took it, of course. I scored a 95%. Wahoo go me! Bitch please. I already know I’m white, but nothing about me is basic. I don’t understand how we can define us as basic because of the coffee we drink or the shoes we wear.

1. Don’t define me

Nobody enjoys a label, especially considering you probably don’t even know my name. I know what I like and there’s nothing wrong with that. These big companies become successful within their brand because they sell a product that appeals to many people, including white girls. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the fact that I fall into the category. As they say “Don’t knock it until you try it.” Have you ever had on a pair of uggs? Imagine walking on a cloud — yeah it’s that good.

2. Stop judging

We live in a society where body image is blowing up on instagrams. If I’ve been at the gym for a month and feel confident in my results let me post that bomb ass selfie without any judgements. Confidence is hard to come by for young woman in this day and age, so let them do as they please. If I want to share my coffee with the social media world, it’s my option to do so. We spend so much time analyzing others lives, but what about taking a look in the mirror?

3. We’re all different

We’re all made to be individuals so we won’t agree on everything whether it be politics, TV shows, or coffee. We’re all entitled to our opinion, just as much as any other female out there. Just because I choose to binge watch “One Tree Hill’ to forget about all the dramatic situations I’m in at the moment and you choose “Bones” doesn’t make me a basic person. I find enjoyment out of guessing who “Gossip Girl” is, so let me watch my show in peace.

4. Who I am

Just because I enjoy the same caramel iced coffee as the white girl next to me, doesn’t make me basic. We just have something in common. Plus have you ever had it? It will seriously change your life. ANYWAYS I’m still an individual and I know where I stand as a woman, but I may have things in common with other women. Wow shocker! Those moments are what I call the beginning of friendships. Women bonding over similar interests.

They say that mimicking someone is the biggest form of flattery. If I ask another female where she got her shoes and decide to buy them for myself, that doesn’t make us the same person. We’re entitled to free will and choosing to like what we do. So stop stereotyping every person in the game because nothing about me is basic. 

Hi, guys! I'm JB and I am Campus Correspondent for Her Campus BloomU!