A Must-Have Accessory: Lei-Lei Bracelets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

If you haven’t heard of Lei-Lei bracelets, you’re missing out! Our very own Her Campus contributor and Social Media Co-Director, Ali Murphy, has brought a new and stylish fad to Bloomsburg University by selling these unique handmade bracelets from Nepal. Every bracelet is woven with the finest beads and materials available, and through every purchase, Nepalese women and children are being assisted to a better life. The majority of female students around campus can be spotted flaunting their Lei-Leis, and judging by the envious looks, they’re drawing in some serious attention.

I personally adore Lei-Lei bracelets, and cannot have enough. I love the unique colors and patterns, especially when I stack different combinations together. We can all agree that the “stacked look” is totally fashionable, especially with these cute, trendy pieces of jewelry. No matter the combination, or how many you decide to wear, they add the perfect touch to any outfit. We’ve asked Ali some questions regarding her Lei-Lei business because we wanted to know more about this fabulous idea of hers.

Her Campus: How did you get into this business selling Lei-Lei bracelets?Ali Murphy: My stepmother, Maria Murphy, has been in the fashion industry for over 25 years and was the one who initially came up with the idea. She wanted to start her own business incorporating fashion while also giving back to the community or some type of charity. She did her research and when she came upon the bracelets and their purpose to better the lives of the women and children of Nepal, she knew she had to get involved. She asked me if I wanted to be apart of it and I was thrilled. Lei-Lei was then founded by Maria and Co-Founded by me in 2012.

HC: It’s so great to know that the proceeds go toward such a great cause. Is it rewarding seeing people purchase such admired bracelets knowing it’s for a good cause?AM: Of course! It’s amazing how these bracelets have become so popular, and how with each purchase the women of Nepal are employed. Our mission allows them to provide for their families, work in a safe environment, and overcome poverty. A portion of the proceeds also goes toward helping rescued girls who were sold into sex trafficking. So yes, every bracelet sold matters in the end!

HC: How long have you been selling Lei-Leis?AM: In 2012 our first order sold very quickly. Once word got out that Maria and I had them, our phones were ringing off the hook! We then created www.Lei-Lei.net where people could make direct online purchases. I also brought a bunch to sell to friends here at Bloom.

HC: It seems so perfect to bring such a trendy thing to Bloomsburg. Would you say you are successful in selling them up here at the university?AM: I have sold my entire portion of the bracelet here. Everyone wants more! They are extremely popular amongst the girls in my sorority and I always have people asking me, “When are you getting in new Lei-Lei’s!?” They also make perfect and affordable gifts. I get a lot of girls who give them for Mother’s Day, Christmas, and birthdays. They are affordable for college students, which is a rarity, so I think that is also why they are so popular here.

HC: How do you advertise Lei-Leis?AM: Just by wearing them I am constantly getting complimented. Girls and women are always saying, “I love those bracelets!” Then I go on to tell them about it and give them my card. The card directs you to our website which is www.Lei-Lei.net. We also have a Facebook page where we post pictures of our newest bracelets and advertise promotions. You can also follow Lei-Lei on Twitter, which is @leileimaria and Instagram @leilei_jewelry.

HC: How often do you receive new bulks of bracelets, and where do you get them?AM: We try to get new ones in as the season change. For example in the winter the darker color combinations are popular, so we make sure to order a new shipment. Then as spring rolls around we will order brighter colors. I find that every two months we need to order more. There’s never a time when we are stuck with a lot we cannot sell, if anything we are always trying to keep up with the demand.

HC: Do you find yourself buying some when you receive the new bulks?AM: The perk of selling these bracelets is Maria lets me choose one or two to keep for myself with each shipment! So you can imagine I have a lot! However, when I wear them it advertises them, so it really is beneficial that I have a collection that keeps grabbing people’s attention.

HC: As a senior this semester, do you think you’ll continue to sell them after graduating?AM: Yes! We want to bring Lei-Lei to a whole new level. Our goal is to expand into a major company much larger than it is now. With such a rewarding cause to donate to, the more we can sell the more people we can help. I will definitely continue to help Maria even after I graduate.

HC: Where else can we find these cute pieces of jewelry?!AM: I have seen them other places such as small boutiques, but to be honest nothing compares to the quality or price you can find with Lei-Lei. I have seen them sell for over $20 a bracelet! Lei-Lei sells each bracelet for only $14, two bracelets for $24, and if you buy 3 or more they are only $10 a piece! It’s a steal for something that is so beautiful and uniquely hand made.

Honestly, if you’re into jewelry and accessorizing, check out these adoring bracelets. I have quite a few by now, and find myself wearing them almost every day. No matter what kind of day I’m having, or what I’m wearing, my Lei-Leis just make my outfit look better; and they never fail to bring in tons of compliments. I love Lei-Leis and really encourage other jewelry-lovers to go check them out. Go treat yourself for all the hard work you’ve been doing in your classes, and buy some Lei-Leis—you won’t be able to resist…seriously, though.