Interning Abroad: Dos & Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Chances are at one point or another you have been told the value of an internship. Interning has been one of the most rewarding aspects of my undergrad experience. Seriously, working for free can be amazing, especially when you’re working in another country!

This past summer I was fortunate enough to be a part of Bloomsburg’s first international internship program.  Myself, along with seven others took one giant leap across the pond and found ourselves living and working in Dublin, Ireland. We each had different internships based on our majors which ranged from Accounting to Mass Communications. I am a Marketing major and interned at The Dance Theatre of Ireland – a nonprofit dance studio that offers dance classes for beginners.

To say the trip was life changing would be an understatement. The experiences I gained were priceless and the people I met were unforgettable. Whether you are considering going the traditional route and studying abroad or thinking about interning, these dos and don’ts will help make your trip all it can be. 

DO….

ExploreAlthough you will be there to work you are also there to explore. You will have the chance to experience the city you are in and you may even venture to other destinations for the weekend.  I was able to also spend three days in Barcelona, Spain and in Amsterdam.  Don’t be afraid to ask for one or two long weekends, you are working for free! Most employers understand that you are also there to travel a little and would not mind giving you some time to make that happen.

EatGo out of your comfort zone and try the local cuisine. What’s the worst that could happen?  Many of the Irish meals were traditional foods like fish and chips and of course meat and potatoes. None of which were a challenge for me to try. I was finally brought out of my comfort zone when we visited a small fishing village called Howth that is revered for its sea food. I am not much of a fish lover unless it is battered and fried, but I tried some fresh halibut that day and I’m glad I did. It was amazing to try all of the countries fresh and locally grown foods.   

Write it all downBeing in another country can be a whirlwind. Make sure to keep a travel journal to organize your thoughts. You can remind yourself of how you were feeling at the beginning of the trip and look back at what you have learned. Also, leave a section to fill in with tasks you have completed at your internship. This will help you remember and organize your thoughts when you are ready to update your resume with this amazing experience!

DON’T…

Slack off at workYou are there for a purpose and slacking off at work reflects you and the university. Coming in hung-over on a Tuesday will not exactly convince your employer that you are there to benefit their organization. Therefore, do go out after work but do not let it affect your job performance.  

Spend all your money in the first weekInterning abroad is a marathon not a sprint. There is no need to go out to eat 7 nights a week. This is unpractical and expensive. There will still be as much Guinness in Ireland and fish and chips in London in week 4 as there is in week one. If you find yourself splurging on big ticket items at the start of your trip you will most likely see yourself scraping for cash at the end. It leaves a negative cloud over the trip if you spend the last week eating jelly sandwiches and begging for free pints at the pub.

Be shyThis is an amazing opportunity to meet people of different cultures and backgrounds. Use this chance to expand your network internationally and gain communication skills. Make friends with your co-workers; after all, they are residents of the city you are staying in and will be one of your best resources for recommending pubs and local must sees. They may even write you a letter of recommendation at the end of your internship.

Most importantly, do go abroad!