How to Rock Plaid This Fall and Winter Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

This fashion trend is one that never goes out of style and is versatile enough to wear during every season. Yes, I’m talking about those favorite plaid go to items. Luckily for us, there are so many fashionable ways to wear this trend that make the fall and winter seasons a bit more enjoyable. Whether it’s a plaid shirt, skirt, skinny pants or an accessory, this trendy piece isn’t going anywhere any time soon. Check out some trendy ways to rock your favorite plaid items this coming cold weather season.

The Classic Button Down ShirtThere are so many ways you can spice up your look when wearing a classic button down plaid shirt. You can pair it with your favorite dark skinny pants, some cute mid calf leg warmers, your favorite combat boots and a chunky cable knit scarf. If you want to add a little pep in your step with this style then switch it up and try pairing it with a skater skirt, add a chunky necklace and some knee high socks with a cute pair of ankle booties.

The Grunge LookThis look may give you flash backs to that ‘90 style we just can’t help but love it. To give yourself that bit of a badass style, try tying a plaid button up around your waist and pairing it with a sweater and some black combat boots. This look has become one of the most popular looks recently and we absolutely adore it. Another great way to rock the grunge look is to put on that loose fit cable knit dress and define your waist by tying your flannel around your hips and top off your look with your favorite handbag. 

The Oversized FlannelThere’s something about an oversized flannel that makes wearing it ten times cozier. You can choose to dress this look up or you can keep it casual. Dressing this look up is super easy. Depending on the length of your flannel, you can get away with it being a dress. Put a chunky cardigan on top, a pair of bootie wedges to match and you turned that frumpy flannel into a cute nighttime outfit. If you’re going for more of a casual, laid back look, try pairing it with your favorite leggings and add some bold jewelry to really make a statement. You know what they say, less is more!

The Plaid BottomsWhat do we love more than plaid tops? Plaid bottoms, of course. You can go in so many directions with this look, it’s insane! There’s the plaid skinny, cropped pants that channels our inner rocker or the long, sleek plaid pencil skirt that can give a little dimension to your look. All of these looks are risky, yet utterly fashionable in the fall and winter seasons. If you are going to rock plaid in any of these styles, your best bet is to be neutral on top. Try pairing your plaid bottoms with a solid top or if you’re feeling daring add a fun graphic tee to the mix, but be sure to keep the colors to a minimum. 

The AccessoryIf there’s one pattern of a scarf every girl should own, it has to be plaid. With the variety of colors and plaid patterns, you can almost always pair it with an outfit. One of the best looks to have with the classic red plaid scarf is pairing it with a leather jacket and a solid shirt underneath. It gives off that modern rock look we all love. Being as the cold weather is approaching, it’s always a good idea to stock up on your stylish head gear. Making its way into our fall obsessed hearts are plaid boho-esque headbands. They are super cute and can easily be used to spice up any outfit.

With each season comes your favorite go to item you get excited to be able to wear again. Try switching it up a bit this season and adding some new styles to your wardrobe!

Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.