Goodbye College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

In August 2016, my family dropped me off at Mount Olympus Apartments at Bloomsburg University. Not only was this going to be my first time at a four year college, but also my first time living away from home. I was ready, but also a little nervous regarding everything, from making friends to my classes. This would be different compared to my last two years at community college.

However, things not only worked out well…but I would say even better than expected.

When I first got to Bloomsburg, I was nervous about finding my place here. Many students were from different areas of the state, country, and even the world but there were also many students here who had grown up together and knew the area very well. I am from PA, but eastern Pennsylvania; so that had me a little worried about fitting in because I was so far from home.

I did find another home here, though. Through the classes I was taking (I loved my Mass Communications classes), the friends I was making (my roommates were instantly nice to me and I made friends easier than expected), the clubs I was in (Her Campus was actually the first club I ever joined), and most of all with my job at the Writing and Literacy Engagement Studio or WALES (formally known as the Bloomsburg university Writing Center).

Being a part of WALES has given me a chance to build a second home and family. While I love my work regarding helping students with writing and reading assignments, I feel that this job has offered me more than just a paycheck and something to do in my spare time. It has given me friends and opportunities I could never imagine. I have been able to spend time and meet new people, discuss issues around our world, go to events in other states, and so much more. My time at WALES has been a blessing and something I will always cherish.

Other organizations I have loved working with are Her Campus and the Fredrick Douglas Debate Society. As I said before, Her Campus was the first organization I joined on campus and I have never regretted it. Not only has it given me a chance to publish my writing and make new friends, but I have also been able to hold an official officer position with the club as the Marketing Director of Her Campus. I have been very proud of that title and wish luck to whoever has the position after I leave.

The other club I have been a part of and very proud of is Debate Team. In the past, I have been very shy and introverted so joining debate was a big step for me. I have grown so much though as a person and in my researching/public speaking skills because of this club. If WALES in my second family, then Debate Team is my third (or tied for second family) while at Bloomsburg. I have loved my experiences with them and was overjoyed this past week when Bloomsburg University came in 1st place at the Debate Competition held at West Chester University of Pennsylvania. I am very proud of all we have accomplished with debate, and I know that this team will continue to be as strong as ever for years to come.

I cannot say for sure where I will be in a year or two. I know I would like to go into book publishing, but that could always change too. I may be across the country or maybe I will stay in my hometown for some time. I really don’t know to be honest. I just hope that wherever I am, I will be happy.

I’ve had a lot of good memories and experiences regarding my time at Bloomsburg University. I will always hold dear every club meeting, every class assignment I adored, every event I participated in, and more. Bloomsburg University has become a second home to me and even though I am leaving this home for other opportunities…I will always be grateful for my time here. 

My name is Jessica and I love reading,musicals, TV shows (especially Arrow), comics, watching movies and Netflix, and traveling. I am a Mass Communications major, with a concentration in Journalism, at Bloomsburg University and I plan to graduate in May 2018. I hope to go onto to work in book publishing or writing for some kind of media outlet as well as working in a major city such as New York or Philadelphia.