Going Gluten-Free…?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Let’s start with what gluten is and where it’s found. Gluten is a protein that is found in wheat, barely, and rye. For many people, it can cause digestive issues. Some even have allergic reactions which is no fun AT ALL. There is a large stigma around people who choose or need to live a gluten free life-style, but there absolutely shouldn’t be! Going gluten free can help people lose weight, and maintain a healthier life.

My freshman year, I learned that I could no longer eat gluten. As someone who absolutely LOVES donuts, fried food, and fast food, I was DEVASTATED. The transition was one of the most difficult things I’ve ever had to go through, but now knowing what I can and can’t eat is so easy. So, I’m here to help you because trying to find foods that taste good, or are close to the foods you are leaving behind, is not a fun task.

By far the hardest thing to find was bread, so many brands are dry or taste like cardboard (YUCK!). Schear (Shär) brand is huge in Europe. They offer different types of bread and buns, so there is always a selection to choose from. They are one of the few brands that are shelf-stored in grocery stores. They also offer some delicious cookies and coffee cakes, as well as crackers and other odds and ends snacks. Udi’s is another brand that offers high quality, gluten-free foods. They have a large selection of frozen foods such as lasagna, macaroni and cheese, pastas, breakfast sandwiches, pizzas, breads, and buns. Udi’s also carries a selection of shelf goods, like cookies. Annie’s Organic offers boxed macaroni and cheese (very similar to Kraft). Amy’s Organic offers some unusual frozen meals such as Asian Tofu Noodles, Baked Kale and Macaroni, Margarita Pizza, and Mexican Burrito Bowls.

Are you a person who prefers to cook from scratch? You can use all of your favorite recipes and simply substitute gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour for regular wheat flour, or gluten free pasta or breadcrumbs depending on your dish! Going gluten free doesn’t have to be difficult, and it sure doesn’t have to mean giving up all your favorites!