Feminism: The New “F” Word

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

The “F” word. No, it’s not what you think… it’s feminism

The word has been everywhere lately. From Beyoncé’s VMA performance, to Emma Watson’s UN speech for the “He for She” campaign and recently a video of little girls saying the actual “F” word to promote feminism. It is almost safe to say if you are not seeing the recent trend in feminism, you live under a rock.

When asking several Bloomsburg students what feminism means to them, here is how they have responded:

“More people need to understand it”

“Beyoncé’s Flawless”

“I think the word is negative- where I would rather just put into action the fact that I don’t ever need to be dependent on a guy”

“We all deserve the same opportunities”

“Girly stuff”

“We (girls) can do anything guys do, if not better.”

“Can be used negatively”

“I should have the same opportunities as the next guy”

One problem having feminism in the spotlight is the actual meaning of the term gets jumbled with people’s opinions of the word. Feminism, by definition, is the advocacy of women’s rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

Although it is necessary to understand the definition of feminism, it is okay to have our own personal definitions. Feminism is personal and collective. We all have different reasons why we need it, and why some of us don’t.

Below is the full video of Emma Watson’s speech on feminism and gender for the “He for She” campaign, which encourages men and boys to advocate an end to gender inequality. 

Brittney Waylen is a Political Science major at Bloomsburg University. She is a member of Phi Iota Chi, a local sorority at Bloomsburg, where she held both Secretary and National Panhellenic Council Representative positions in the past. 
Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.