The Bloom Collegiette’s Guide to Downtown Eating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Let’s face it, after a long day of classes, work, and extracurricular activities the last thing most of us want to do when we finally get home is cook. Whether you’re looking for a fast bite to eat, a midnight pick-me-up, or a sit-down dinner downtown, we’ve got you covered! Here’s a list of places you can get the best food for any occasion for the best prices in downtown Bloomsburg.

If you’re looking for a quick afternoon fix, Steph’s Subs has a lot of quick options for on the go! With a set up that allows you to easily converse with the table next to you, Steph’s is also a great place to sit down and grab lunch with your closest friends. Steph’s menu offers subs in both the hot and cold variety, along with sides like buffalo chicken fries, mini pizza, and boneless wings. With the price of their subs averaging about $8.00, Steph’s definitely won’t break the bank! They also offer a variety of salads for those of us who are fans of leafy greens.

While we’re on the topic of subs, Berrigan’s obviously has to make the list! Conveniently located on Main St., Berrigan’s offers a unique variety of subs. While they offer the standard hot and cold subs, Berrigan’s takes a twist on the traditional sub with their “Husky” sub menu. Promising not to disappoint, the “Husky” sub menu offers bold flavored subs like the Dustroyer Husky. This sub includes an 8oz cheeseburger, buffalo sauce, jalapeno poppers, curly fries, tomato, and lettuce.

Other unique subs include the What Da Keck Husky loaded with grilled chicken, provolone, honey mustard, mozzarella sticks, curly fries, lettuce, tomato, and onion, and Jesse’s Grill Husky, which is packed with pepperoni, cheese steak, bacon, provolone, chicken fingers, French fries, onion rings, mayo, ketchup, tomatoes, and lettuce. Averaging at $4.00 for an 8” sub and about $8.50 for a 16” sub, Berrigan’s is absolutely affordable! One thing is for sure, if you try one of these subs you won’t leave hungry!

If subs aren’t on your list of things you want to eat, perhaps you’d like Ready Go Burrito. Also located on Main St., Ready Go offers a festive atmosphere, burritos the size of a football, and they deliver! If you’re looking to start off your meal with an appetizer, Ready Go offers a variety of nachos and chips with salsa or hummus for a fair price. On average their appetizers cost about $3.50, but range from $2.50 – $5.95. They offer a variety of ten different burritos to choose from, one of which includes a build-your-own option, which cost $5.59 for a 10” burrito and $6.59 for a 12”. These prices are affordable, even on a college student’s budget. Some of their flavors include their best seller, the El Crunchero which is stuffed with chicken, bbq rice, refried beans, cheese, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, ranch dressing, and salsa, and the Bloomer, which has steak, chicken or tofu, three bean beer chili, rice, sour cream, cheese and salsa all wrapped into one of their delicious burrito shells! Their menu also includes wraps, quesadillas, tacos, and burgers.

Is it just me or are you getting hungry?

If you are looking for more of a sit-down atmosphere, Balzano’s Italian Kitchen is a great place to go. With a dinner menu that includes a variety of appetizers, soups, salads, pastas, entrées, specialty dishes, round pies, specialty pies, old forge style pizza, stromboli, and calzones, Balzano’s definitely doesn’t have a shortage of food. With entrées priced at about the average of $20, you can enjoy delicious Italian foods like chicken or veal Francese, jumbo stuffed shrimp, and eggplant Rollentini, which all are served with a side salad and bread. Balzano’s also has a To-Go restaurant that offers quick and deliverable foods like subs, salads, pizza, chicken fingers, and wings.

If you’re having a date night and looking for something a bit fancier, Seasons on Main is the perfect place for you. Self-described as “elegant, yet comfortable fine dining,” Seasons is conveniently located on Main St. with a sophisticated atmosphere that is perfect for a dinner date with your significant other. While the words “fine dining” may be intimidating when you’re on a budget, the prices are reasonable. With appetizers ranging from $6 – $12 and entrees ranging from $19 – $33, Seasons will definitely cost you the most money out of the places on our list, but the quality of dining is worth it! Entrees include grilled New York strip steak topped with a horseradish, scallion butter, and walnut crusted roast chicken breast with sliced apples and a brown sugar demi-glaze.

If fine dining isn’t quite your speed, and you’re simply looking for a greasy pick me up after a night of partying, Tri Pi is the place for you! With a large selection of delicious pizzas, Tri Pi Pizzeria is open until 4 a.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Tri Pi makes the perfect late night snack with a menu that includes delicious garlic knots and their famous pretzellinis. You can eat in or take out at Tri Pi.

Happy eating, collegiettes!

Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.