lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

19 Reasons to be Single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

It’s almost Valentine’s Day and love is in the air…just not the air you’re breathing. Instead of pouting, wallowing in loneliness and eventually texting your high school ex-boyfriend, remember how wonderful it is to be single. 

1. Sweatpants.
  2. Listen to “Single Ladies” all. day. long.
  3. You don’t have to pretend you like whatever cheesy gift your significant other would no doubt give you.
  4. You don’t have to expend the money or energy buying or DIY-ing a gift for someone else.
  5. Take that money you saved and go buy yourself some candy.
  6. Is there anything better than sitting on your couch, eating candy with your friends and watching romcoms? We don’t think so.
  7. Do you know how many movies Ryan Gosling is in? Over 20.
  8. So sit down with a bowl of popcorn and give him your undivided attention.
  9. Nurture your stiletto-worn feet by slipping into some cozy socks.
  10. Taylor Swift is also single this Valentine’s Day… feels good, doesn’t it?!
  11. You’ve read Romeo and Juliet – you know how this love-stuff turns out.
  12. Remember all those awkward elementary school Valentine’s Day parties where you had to give everyone a card, including that gross kid who picked his nose…. Now, you can much more selective regarding your suitors.
  13. You won’t have to spend hours decoding the meaning (or lack thereof) behind the ambiguous gift he got you.
  14. Give your skin a breather and go makeup free for a night!
  15. You don’t have to share your bed with anyone. We don’t know about you, but those dorm beds can be pretty tiny…
  16. Never touch a razor this Valentine’s Day weekend!
  17. You can avoid that awkward “Is this a date? Should I reach for the bill? Do I at least offer to pay the tip?” situation.
  18. Hit up the gym with some of your free time and make sure you look fabulous for spring break.
  19. Maybe you’re just not that good with feelings…

So, this Valentine’s Day, enjoy being single and avoiding all types of emotions.

Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.