Next Time You Go Out for a Drink, Venture Out of Selly Oak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Birmingham chapter.

I get it. It’s cold, it’s dark, it’s miserable. The easiest option for that mandatory pint and catch up is the Soak or the Pear. But, if you can force yourself to spend slightly longer than necessary out in the cold, Birmingham city centre really does have some gems that are worth exploring.

Bacchus Bar

Literally a stone’s throw from New Street Station is this unexpected delight. Go underground to discover antique furniture, medieval armour, historic tapestries and a cosy, welcoming atmosphere. The bar isn’t so much of an undiscovered gem because it is packed on the weekends and evenings, but slip into this bar in the early evening to grab a drink and a seat in one of the nooks or crannies.

The Jekyll and Hyde

This bar, located towards the financial district, is fast becoming well known for its delicious and creative cocktails – and so it should be. Again, getting a seat among all the professional types straight from work can be a little difficult, but go anytime from 4pm on a weekday to take advantage of the £4 cocktail menu. Inspired by traditional sweets, lovingly made and served with a creative flourish – whether that is in an old jam jar or a miniature watering can.

The Old Joint Stock

To step into this place is to be whisked back to the times of Victorian grandeur, without compromising on the friendly pub atmosphere. Based in an old theatre with impressive architecture and magnificent décor, The Old Joint Stock is the perfect place to relax with a drink while soaking up your surroundings. Thanks to the extraordinary size of the place, too, seating is rarely an issue.

Island Bar

If fun and funky is more your style, head to the Hawaiian-themed Island Bar, opposite the Mailbox. Here you can expect cheap cocktails (with obligatory paper umbrellas), striking décor and a lively crowd. The bar prides itself on its rum collection (of over 70 varieties) and its party atmosphere, particularly on the weekends.

The Victoria

The Victoria is the perfect place to head for some unpretentious, shabby chic. The pub has impressive historical credentials: based in an old theatre pub dating back to the 19th century, rumour has it the Victoria even has a resident ghost. However, the mortals working behind the bar are much more friendly, and I’d really recommend heading down on a Tuesday night to partake in the weekly Sound and Vision pub quiz.