A Few Films You Should Watch Be Watching This Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Birmingham chapter.

Cosy nights by the fire, a glass of wine and a good film are the perfect way to spend our winter nights.  With only weeks to go until Christmas, why not begin the countdown by watching a few of our favourite classic Christmas movies.

Love Actually (2003)

The 2003 hit film (is it really that old?!) Love Actually captures the perfect combination of love and Christmas. From the Prime Minister falling in love with the girl who brings his tea, to aging rock stars and complicated relationships, the film presents loves in various forms spread between ten separate but interlinking stories all leading up to Christmas Eve. With the likes of Hugh Grant, Kiera Knightley, Colin Firth, Emma Thompson and Liam Neeson, it’s a film to make you feel good and a definite must watch! 

The Holiday (2006)

Following on the theme of love, The Holiday follows two women who house swap (in different countries) with each other to get away from men… but end up finding love. This is one to really get you into the cosy Christmas spirit and with Jude Law starring what’s not to enjoy!?

Home Alone (1990)

The hilarious family comedy follows Macaulay Culkin as the young and cute Kevin who has to fend for himself after he’s accidentally left behind when his family leave for their Christmas holiday. After realising he’s being targeted by burglars he learns to protect himself by conducting a variety of traps. Not a conventional Christmas, but definitely a film to make you laugh.  

It’s A Wonderful Life (1946)

Looking for something a bit more classic? It’s A Wonderful Life never fails to put you in the Christmas mood as it explores the festive season, and after a hardworking and stressful term will remind you that life really isn’t all that bad! Sentimental and poignant, we see the alternative life of George Bailey, had he chosen a different way of life.  

Elf (2003)

Buddy, a misfit elf, seeks to find his roots in New York City but finds he has a bigger mission of trying to convince people to believe in Father Christmas instead. This family friendly film is as Christmassy as it gets as we see Buddy trying to restore the true meaning of Christmas in New York, as well as finding his true place in the world. 

Nativity! (2009)

Nativity! Is the hilarious and cute British comedy where teacher Paul Maddens (Martin Freeman) finds himself competing against a rival school when he’s chosen to organise the whole school nativity performance. It’s a light hearted film and is followed up with the sequel Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger

Of course there are lots more, who could forget the green monster that comes in the form of The Grinch? A Christmas Carol and Muppet Christmas Carol are also favourites, along with more rom coms in the form of Bridget Jones and Four Christmases, starring Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughan.