Campus Celebrity: Emily Bowers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Birmingham chapter.

Currently a third year drama student Emily is taking part in the most important show of her University career to date. She is part of the first, third year production called ‘Be my baby’ which is set in a mother and baby home in the early 60’s; and tells the story of the young unmarried women were sent there to carry out their pregnancies until the babies were given up for adoption. Emily is to play the part of Dolores who is one of four young women who are featured in the production and a character she describes as “intellectually challenged and intentionally humorous”.

This production counts as a whole counts for a whopping 40% of her final year’s mark, so as much as the usual dissertation mark for the rest of us. The actual performance consists of 50% of her marks, so the pressure to put on a good show is definitely on! This production also means that the University brings in a professional director to lead the performance, this year they have arranged for Gwenda Hughes to direct. Gwenda was the associate director for Birmingham repertory theatre and directed an Olivier award winning musical called ‘Once on This Island’, now I’m not a theatre buff but I imagine directing an Olivier award winning musical is pretty impressive by any standard!

On top of this Emily is also one of two co-chairs in charge of BUDS the Birmingham University dance society; from auditioning teachers, managing room bookings and to organising the running of weekly classes the co-chairs have enough to keep themselves busy. The main part of being co-chair of BUDS is what Emily calls, “our annual show and the highlight of the BUDS social calendar”. This show takes place during Week 10 of semester 2, and has over 500 students taking part spanning five performances; so it is definitely worth a watch and put on the calendar for next term.

Being heavily involved in all things drama and dance at the University it is not surprising that Emily’s big plans are revolving around the performing industry; so who knows we could be seeing Emily on the next Andrew Lloyd Webbers, “I’d do anything” becoming Nancy!