10 Things to do in Birmingham After Dissertation Hand-In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Birmingham chapter.

As soon as you have a life again, the question looms as to what to do with your sudden new found time. However before work starts again, and the familiar monotonous routine of trips to the library continues, here is a list of 10 things to take advantage of in Birmingham, to enjoy your last few months left of being a student.

1. The Jekyll and Hyde

First things first, you’ve handed your dissertation in so a drink is in order. However rather than visit one of your regular bars in Birmingham, why not splash out and try somewhere new. The Jekyll and Hyde cocktail bar is the perfect place to do this. It hosts a selection of the weirdest and innovative flavoured drinks you can try, such as toothpaste flavoured rum cocktails.

Address: 28 Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham, B4 6BJ

2. Electric Cinema

This is the UK’s oldest working cinema located minutes away from Selly Oak, screening a selection of both new release films as well as classics. This experience trumps that of your standard cinema with each screen hosting a selection of sofas, a bar, and a waiter service, making you feel pampered for the same price as your average cinema experience.

Address: 47–49 Station Street, Birmingham, B5 4DY

Prices:

Sofa – £13.50

Front row sofa – £9.50 

Standard – £7.40

Students – £5

3. Cadbury World

So everyone knows that Birmingham is home to the famous Cadbury World, but how many of you have actually visited? With reasonable prices which agree with the student budget and the opportunity for free chocolate, there is no excuse not to visit.

Address: Linden Road, Bournville, Birmingham, B30 1JR

Prices:

Adults – £15.95Students (with valid NUS card) – £12.00

4. Sea life centre

The Sea Life centre provides a therapeutic way to spend an afternoon with friends with over 2000 creatures. Not only can you wander through fish tanks but this Centre also allows you to interact with the sea life enabling you to touch a selection of both starfish and crabs.

Address: The Waters Edge, 3 Brindleyplace, Birmingham, B1 2HL

Online Booking Prices:

Full Paying Individual – £10.00

5. Cheap weekend away with Megabus

Granted, not everyone may have this opportunity, but if any of you have friends who have done a year abroad within Europe, now is the time to visit. Trips abroad can work out a lot cheaper than people imagine. With trips to European cities such as Amsterdam and Paris for as little at £10 from Birmingham, there is no better time than now to take advantage of these offers, making an inexpensive weekend away in another city.

6. Birmingham Nature Centre

It may come as a surprise to most people living within their University bubble but there is a Zoo located within walking distance of Selly Oak. This zoo hosts a range of different animals such as Meerkats and Lemurs as well as a range of reptiles. Being located within such a short distance of the university, it’s hard to find an excuse not to visit.

Address: Pershore Road, Birmingham, B5 7RL

Prices:

Adults – £5.50

Concessions (Students) – £4.50

7. Drayton Manor Theme Park

For those who love a thrill, Drayton Manor Theme Park provides a great day trip within a short distance. With spring shortly upon us, this is a great way to spend a day out and briefly forget about work.

Address: Drayton Manor Drive, Tamworth, B78 3TW

Online Ticket Prices:

Peak Time – Aged 12- 59 – £25

Off Peak Time – £20

8. West Midlands Safari Park

Whether you own a car or not, this place is well worth a visit. It hosts a vast range of activities to fill your day such as a Safari Park and Sea Lion Theatre all located only 12 miles away!

Address: Bewdley, Worcestershire, DY12 1FL

Prices:

Adults – £17.99

Students – £15.99

(Free return ticket with every ticket purchased!)

9.  Glee Club

Every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night the Glee Club hosts a range of comedy shows. With a number of discounts for students, the Glee club is the perfect way to spend an evening watching a selection of different comedians. Located within the Arcadian, this evening could be followed by a trip to one of the local bars within the area.

Address: The Arcadian, Hurst Street, Birmingham, B5 4TD 

10.  The Balti Triangle

Finally, having lived in Birmingham, home of the Balti dish, your experience of Birmingham would not be complete without having visited at least one of the restaurants from the famous Balti Triangle. Ranked as one of Rough Guides ‘top 25 things to do in Britain before you die’, it is definitely an area you must visit.

Address: Sparkhill, Basall Heath and Moseley

So whatever your preference, Birmingham is sure to host something that will cater for you, and now that you’ve been shown there’s no excuse to sit around doing nothing!