This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Whatever your political preferences are, it’s plain to see this is an incredibly important election. For many of us at Binghamton, this will be every very first year to vote, and this couldn’t be a better time to make our political voices heard! I interviewed two Binghamton University students about what is bringing them to the polls and why you should be there too!

Aleksandra Krol, an environmental science major set to graduate in 2018.

Why is voting in this election important to you?

Voting is important to me because I feel it’s important that I feel represented in our government. I want to choose a leader who has the same values as I do, and who will ultimately make this country a better place.

What issues are most important to you this election season?

There are so many important issues that our society is facing. The two that stick out to me the most are climate change and redistribution of wealth. The impacts of climate change are becoming more severe, and it is important that our leader knows how to tackle them. As well as redistribution, our country is in a great debt, there are many people suffering, and there are many issues to face. Redistribution is not only taxing the wealthy as most would believe, but it is also making sure that the wealthiest people ARE paying taxes. So many people avoid taxes altogether, while worse off Americans bare most of the burden. Corruption within our system does not aide in this problem.

What is your way of staying informed?

At the beginning of the election my knowledge stemmed from Facebook posts and Buzzfeed articles. And while that keeps me still somewhat informed, it is important to watch actually debates of the candidates and not recaps or articles about them because those will always be somewhat biased. It is important to watch the candidates in action to make your own conclusions, as hard as that may be.

How will you be voting on day? (Absentee ballot or in person)

I will be voting in person. I registered to vote in Binghamton, because I want my vote to count; as opposed to an absentee ballot which only counts in a tie.

What would you tell someone who says they are not voting?

If your vote didn’t count, no ones’ would, and there would be no point in an election. If all people felt the same way then we would not live in a democracy. It is the tragedy of the commons, where people feel like their actions don’t make an impact, but when everyone thinks like that it leads to devastation. If you are not happy with how our government is, then go out and vote to help make a difference.

Ending Remarks?

One thing I just want to make clear is that I know I’m not the most informed on politics. I am aware that I personally am not capable of making the best decisions for all of America, which is why I realize it’s important to vote for someone who understands how the country really works. It is most important that we have a leader that will make good decisions to keep America safe and running. This said I personally cannot decide if either of the candidates would make the best president, but if these are our choices, it is up to every individual to make the decision that they feel best.

Georgia Westbrook, an Art History major planning on graduating in 2018 who was a member of the Voter Engagement Team at the CCE last semester

It is important to vote because everyone’s voice matters! It sounds like a cliché, but it’s frustrating to hear people who didn’t vote complain about the choices other people make. We have the opportunity to choose our leaders and we cannot waste that.

This election season, I am focusing on women’s rights, environmental issues, and education. These issues touch me personally, but I know they affect so many other people too.

What is your way of staying informed?

Something really special and great about this election is that many of the candidates at all levels are on social media. In addition to following them and hearing from them directly, I try to get my news from sources with all types of political leanings so I can figure out my choices with as little media sway as possible.

How will you be voting on Election Day?

I will be voting in person and in Binghamton! I am lucky that I have the opportunity to vote in my home district and the BU area since I am a local student (and they are the same). A lot of the issues at stake in the Southern Tier affect me two-fold since I am a resident and a student here

To those who think their votes don’t matter, I promise you that they do! News networks make such a huge deal out of the popular vote because each vote matters. You really do have the power to flip a whole decision or election with your single ballot. Don’t let everyone else decide what’s best for you- you get to do that by voting!

Whether you’re someone who has dreamed of voting since going into the polling booth with your parent when you were a kid or whether your main source of political information is Facebook, it’s still not too late to become educated on the issues and the candidates and let your voice be heard! The deadline to register to vote is October 14th and if you are already registered in your hometown, you can still fill out an application for an absentee ballot! I know I will be voting on November 8th, and I hope you will be too!

My name is Stephanie and I am a junior majoring in psychology and minoring in education!
Binghamton Contributor