Why I Love Binghamton…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

There are a lot of pros about attending Binghamton University, however one of the cons is definitely the weather. From about November to late April a blanket of pure, white snow covers the entire Binghamton campus from Newing to the West Gym. Well actually, it starts off as a blanket of pure white snow and slowly changes to dirty grey piles of snow and sheets of black ice. This kind of weather can be discouraging to the spirit and even potentially physically dangerous. It encourages us to stay indoors, in our PJs, under our blankets.

When it’s just one of those days, I remind myself of all the reasons I chose to come to Binghamton in the first place. The academics are top notch, I’m not too far from home, the students are super friendly, and I’m saving a ton of money. Yes, you might be jealous of those Tulane or UMiami kids now, but trust me the tables will turn when the time comes to pay back your student loans.

Sometimes it’s nice to have an excuse to stay in. You can do some Netflix binging, hang out with floor-mates and bond, or even just catch up on some sleep. But sometimes you just have to muster up the willpower, drag yourself out of bed, and get outside. You don’t even need to change! This weather is perfect for sweats/PJs, you’ll be perfectly warm and cozy with those under your jacket. If you look for it, it is easy to find the beauty in Binghamton University and the town of Binghamton itself.  Right after it snows in the morning, the nature preserve is actually a sight to be seen. On days with clear skies (there are more than you’d think) the view from above the lake on the nature preserve is second to none. The trees topped perfectly with a dusting of snow, the lake frozen over and beautifully reflective, the sounds of nature all around you. At how many schools do students get to be totally encompassed in nature like that? Treat yourself to a dinner at the Lost Dog Café, Thai Time, or any of the other great restaurants downtown Binghamton has to offer. If going downtown is too much to bear in the weather, grab a hot chocolate and hang out with friends above C4. Go to Bartle or the marketplace, bring your laptop, and get some work done. You’ll feel good about being productive and getting out of bed will help you ditch that tired grogginess you would otherwise be feeling all day. I promise its easy to find beauty in the small things here at Binghamton, you just need to look for it! 

Jackie Eizak

Binghamton

Binghamton Contributor