What sunny place I’d rather be at than in snowy Binghamton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

By now we’ve all heard it. It’s cold. And windy. And just plain miserable. Binghamton in the winter is the last place any person would want to be. Rather than being stuck in this cold tundra of nothingness, I would very much rather be in the warmth and sun of Italy. Who wouldn’t want to walk the ancient city of Rome while twirling your fork around some delicious homemade spaghetti?  I know I would so much rather be there than in Binghamton, where everyday it’s a struggle to go to class without turning into a complete icicle. Don’t get me wrong because I love Binghamton. There’s something special here about how we all struggle together, but if someone asked me today to get on a plane to Italy I wouldn’t give it two seconds of thought and I’d be on that plane faster than a girl running to get a taxi on a Friday night on State Street.

Even though I’ve never been to the lovely country of Italy, I feel as if I know enough about it to say that it can be a much lovelier place than Binghamton at this point in time. Instead of spending hours trying to debate whether or not I want to step a foot outside and brave the frigidness and iciness of this frozen tundra, I would much rather be debating whether or not to go to the Coliseum or visit one of the many great beaches on the shores of Cala Goloritze. That sounds much more pleasing than walking through negative degree weather along with the lovely wind chill. Italy is full of culture and more importantly warmth and sun. I can just see myself strolling along the cobblestone roads in a pair of shorts with some gelato in hand. I’m over dressing in ten layers just to walk a few feet outside to get to the dining hall, and am ready to get back into my sundresses and flip flops. 

At the end of the day, I don’t realistically have the option of going to Italy at this moment, but a girl can dream, right? There’s about another month of frigidness left in the lovely area of Binghamton, so I think we’ll all survive. It might be a long month, but in order to make it go faster I recommend keeping yourself busy with lots of study and snacks and staying indoors. 

Elyse Aufrichtig is a senior at Binghamton University. She's majoring in Management with a concentration in Marketing and minoring in Global Studies. She has a passion for communications and social media. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she's working on a project for the Marketing Association, working with her sorority sisters (Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi) as Vice President or just simply spending time with her friends and looking for her next Instagram picture. She enjoys traveling, writing, taking photos, social media, crafting, or just grabbing a cup of coffee. She just came back from a semester abroad in Rome and can't wait to return one day. In the future, Elyse hopes to spend lots of time traveling the world and meeting tons of new people. If you're interested in following her, you can find her on Twitter @rELYSEd and Instagram @elyse.aufrichtig.
Binghamton Contributor