The Vampire Diaries Recap: For Whom the Bell Tolls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

So basically the bell tolls for me. Because I literally died during this episode. From crying. SO. MUCH. And I don’t think even the Gilbert ring could bring me back now. Is it just me, or was that the saddest episode in a while? Ok I know we already knew Bonnie was dead and everything for a while now, but just seeing how mad Damon got when Jeremy told him about Bonnie, saying that this would destroy Elena’s whole world. I just couldn’t. And then at the very end when Bonnie is talking to everyone through Jeremy and then Tyler showed up and Bonnie’s all like “This good, this is all I wanted, I’ll be ok, we’ll all be ok.“ Omg. So I was watching it while I was home for the weekend and my dad walked in and he was like who died? And I was like “Everyone Elena has ever cared about!” He didn’t get it, but whatevs. It’s just so heart wrenching, I’m starting to wonder, like are they going to not have any cast members left by the end of this series? Is it just going to be Damon, Stefan and Elena like having a threesome the entire show? I mean I guess that would be alright… But I digress. Sorry not sorry. ANYWAY.  Let’s reflect on the most depressing moments of the episode aka the entire thing. Even Damon’s smirky half smile couldn’t cheer me up after that sob fest… (I’m a Delena fan if you haven’t guessed by now, sorry Stelena fans!)       

Damon: You say that and everything in Elena’s life goes to crap everything changes

Jeremy: Bonnie’s dead

Damon: Dammit Jeremy. You realize what you just did? Why would you say that?

Jeremy: I’m sorry. People need to know.

-And then Damon looks like he’s going to kill Jeremy but then he hugs him and omg stop I can’t take it.

Elena: In the last three years I lost my adoptive parents, my birth parents, my aunt, my guardian Alaric and my brother Jeremy died, but he came back to life so there’s that.

-Like I know that was meant to be funny but she’s lost so many people, it’s horrible. And also anytime anyone mentions Alaric I die.

Elena: I can’t believe this is happening. I can’t believe she’s gone

And when everyone is crying at the funeral and Bonnie and Jeremy try to hold hands but they can’t really because she’s gone and ughhhhhhhhhh…

Elena: You never scared me, the first time I saw you for what you were, I touched your face like this, I told you not to hide.

-And then she moves away and he says “don’t” like come on that’s just not fair, and the song from when they had their first kiss is playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mmEN2M46dI

AND the whole “don’t” thing is what Elena said to Stefan to tell him to not pull away and he listened to her but she didn’t listen to him because she loves Damon now! Like it’s just not fair how upset they’re making me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3khT1WWRRU)

Ughh the whole Elena showing Stefan how they met and everything was actually really cute and I was hit with a wave of nostalgia for season 1 Stelena, and then I felt like I was cheating on Damon and so I felt really bad but then Stefan hit on Caroline later in the episode and I immediately went back to being Delena’s number one fan. (But to be fair I must add that I completely forgot about the end scene of the first clip, I had purposefully chosen to forget that Damon and Caroline were a thing and I really didn’t need to be reminded

SO. Now that you’re extremely depressed I’ll cheer you up with some of the lighter stuff (Basically everything Stefan said and did, I like amnesia Stefan! Can we keep him?):

Stefan: Well I bet that 2,000-year-old witch probably drives a little faster than you! Wait let me guess I’m the fun brother you’re the safe brother

Stefan: Caroline Forbes, my best friend… you are much hotter in person… No wonder Stefan doesn’t end up with Elena! Doesn’t he know never to tell a girl she doesn’t look good in pictures?

-Question. Why is Stefan hitting on everyone?

Even as he is about to kill that waitress:

Stefan: I don’t want to hurt you, you seem really nice, it’s not like I want to rip your head off… Yeah Stefan that’s how you woo a girl! Maybe after your done attacking her she’ll give you her number!

Stefan: How do I not remember you? I mean your smart your pretty your funny and obviously your the strongest women in the world if you were managed to figure out a way to get through all that” ewww *excuse me while I go throw up now.

Stefan: I’m strange, you’re the one coming out of the bathroom do I even want to know why?

And when Stefan asks if there is anyone he didn’t kill:

Damon: Well, we covered our father who art in hell, Uncle Zach my bad (lol) and on the bright side our mother died of consumption!

Bonnie: it’s not like there’s Netflix where I am, you working out is my main source of entertainment.

Jeremy: I was just working off the extra adrenaline

Bonnie: And every girl on the otherside thanks you for it

-Bonnie made her first dead joke! Yay! Snaps for BonBon!

This episode deff had it’s ups and downs (mostly downs) but I’m so curious to see where they take all of this in the next few episodes! Like how many more girls will Stefan unsuccessfully hit on?

She was the Binghamton University Campus Correspondent Spring 2015-Spring 2016. She started writing for Her Campus second semester Freshman year and has loved it ever since! She is now a Binghamton University graduate with a degree in English and minor in History. She is an enthusiastic writer and reader, obsessed with social media, traveling, and ending misogyny. Her two great loves are Harry Potter marathons and sampling cheese. She is excited by the prospect of new challenges and can't wait to dive in and get her hands dirty.
Binghamton Contributor