Recruitment Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Recruitment Survival 101

It’s recruitment season again and girl flirting is in the air!  As I prepare for my third formal recruitment as a sister, I am here to help you get through rush if you are a potential new member or sister.  Here are some things to remember in order to make rush a success despite the stress!  

1.     Have an open mind

Whether you are thinking of joining a sorority or a seasoned sister, it can be difficult to enter the rush room without any preconceived notions of what kind of sisters you are looking for.  Try to give everyone a chance because you never know what organization might surprise you or which girls might have more in common with you than you thought. 

2.     Be yourself

Your sorority sisters are your future bridesmaids, girls you can stay up all night laughing with, and friends who will be there is comfort you when a boy breaks your heart.  Don’t be afraid to show your true colors because if other people don’t like who you really are, then they won’t make the best sisters or friends.  

3.     Remember why you are here

Despite those that think joining a sorority is paying for friends, it is so much more.  It’s a chance to get more involved in campus life, community service, philanthropy events, and leadership.  Being an a sorority is an all inclusive experience that is so much more than wearing cute T-shirts and going out with your girls.  Keep in mind what motivated you to sign up for recruitment in the first place so that you know what you are looking to get out of joining an organization. 

4.     Practice for the real world

Let’s face it.  Long hours of talking to endless quantities of girls can get tedious.  But just think, this is great practice for networking at that job fair next month, a high-profile interview or talking up a cute boy at a party.  I promise, after an hour or two of recruitment, you’ll be a pro at public speaking and it won’t even seem awkward anymore! 

5.     Stay hydrated and eat a big breakfast

The day is long and there are few breaks.  Make sure that you bring a water bottle so that you can stay focused and energized.  Also, have a big breakfast so that conversations are interrupted by the sound of your stomach grumbling!

Smile and have fun!  It will be Bid Day before you know it!

Deena Abramson is a Senior at Binghamton University studying Psychology and Health and Wellness Studies.  She is originally from Lexington, Massachusetts.  She is currently the President of her sorority, Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi, and is so grateful for her Sigma sisters, many of whom are also Her Campus writers!  Some of her hobbies include: running (she has run two half marathons this year!), hiking in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, cooking healthy meals, playing word games, and of course writing for Her Campus!   She hopes that her articles both entertain and inspire her peers both at Binghamton and in the national Her Campus community.  
Binghamton Contributor