Rachel Greenberg: Service and Leadership VP of Cleveland Hall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

There is one Binghamton girl who’s like a superhero, literally. Her name: Rachel Greenberg. What makes her so different than the typical Binghamton student? It’s her first year here on campus and already she is super involved.  Rachel is always running here, there and everywhere. 

Rachel is the Service and Leadership VP of Hinman’s Cleveland hall.  She is always in meetings and putting together events for the students in her building, “For my role of service & leader, I organize events for the hall and inform residents of ways in which they can help out the community, student body or local community”, Greenberg said.

Last week, she single handedly organized a Super Mario Cart event. She ran around to all her friends collecting games, and even though Rachel was unable to attend the event herself, she had an amazing turnout!

Not only does she help out  her on-campus community, but she also lends a hand in the Binghamton community,  as she is in the midst of planning Earth Day. Greenberg explained that Earth Day will be an event aimed at promoting recycling, “For Earth Day, I work with two other people and  physical facilities to plan a zero-waste event in order to demonstrate to the student body the feasibility of using mostly recyclable and composted items”

On top of that she spends at least five hours a week the Johonson City Mentor program at Johnson City Middle School with her new sixth grade mentee, Tina. Greenberg said that participating in the mentor program allows her to inspire young middle school students in the Binghamton area to achieve academically, “At the middle school many of the students come from families that don’t prioritize education.  Since education at the moment is one of my top priorities I try to reflect this value of mine on the students so that they too will strive to move on to higher education even if their parents have not.”

In addition to being always on-the-go,  completing all of her schoolwork, and earning top-notch grades, Greenberg also takes three hours a week to attend the Maimonides Leadership Fellowship Program.  This is a ten-week program where Rachel learns and explores Judaism. She spends the rest of her free time hanging out in the CIW  library for chemistry tutoring sessions. You can meet her on Thursdays at friend’s lunch, where she is always smiling and willing to meet new people and make new friends.

Lauren Howley is a junior at Binghamton University pursuing a double degreen in English/rhetoric and Marketing. Originally from Staten Island, New York, Lauren thinks that New York City is the most beautiful place in the world and hopes to one day live and work there. She was a staff writer for the Arts and Lifestyle section of the Binghamton PipeDream, where she spent her time writing about fashion and college life. Last summer, she spent her time researching honeymoon destinations and blogging about bridal trends as an intern for The Knot Weddings Magazine in New York City. In her spare time, Lauren enjoys laughing, hanging out with her friends, blasting music while she drives, applying movie quotes every situation possible, and drinking coffee like its her job. In the future, she hopes to pursue a career in lifestyle journalism or entrepreneurship.