This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

They say March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb. Unfortunately, this year one of the high points of the spring semester happens on March 1st. With temperatures at a whopping high of 27˚ F, low of 7˚ F, and scattered snow showers, you might want to reconsider wearing that Guiness tank top and green Soffe shorts. Here are some tips on how to get your green on and look hot without feeling cold!

1. Layer layer layer. Our green friend Shrek knows what’s up for Parade Day. The key to stay bundled up without sacrificing your sense of fashion is layering! As students at BU, I think it’s safe to say that we all have at least ONE green item of clothing from Orientation, a basketball game, or the bookstore. Try wearing a rugby or collared shirt under a hoodless Bing sweatshirt. This will keep you toasty while still sporting a classic preppy look. Now, if you don’t have Bing apparel (or an actual green winter jacket destined for this day), try grabbing a long-sleeved thermal at Walmart or Old Navy and wearing it under that cute top you were planning on wearing.

2. Happy feet, happy girl! The shoes you choose have a huge impact on your day. If you’re really set on wearing skimpy leggings instead of jeans, choose higher boots that cover your calves to shield the cold. With the popular trend being thick wooly socks under those Steve Madden combat boots, why not buy some fun green ones?! This simple step can totally make your get up more festive and more stylish (if you’re going with bigger boots, try grabbing some knee-high’s). Whether you choose sexy pumps, comfortable flats, little booties, or tall knee-highs, double check the tread! Make sure your shoes have rubber soles or good grips because, in case you haven’t noticed, it is black ice galore! No one wants to be slipping and sliding at 9am.

3. Accessories: your BFF for the day. If you’re worried that by staying warm you’ll sacrifice your spirit, head gear and accessories are the answer. Places like Walmart, Michael’s, Target, and even Wegman’s have fun head bands, zainy antennas, and green beads galore if you need that something extra. On the other hand, if you really have your heart set on that one shirt and you’re worried it won’t be warm enough, accessories can save the day. Try looking through some winter clearance racks to find green knit hats, wooly scarves, or toasty gloves to take away the chill. These things are usually small enough to stuff inside a pocket or hand bag should you find your way into some place a little warmer as the day goes on.

If you’re catching this early in the week, feel free to browse Amazon for cheap St. Patrick’s Day accessories. If you’re reading this Friday at 9pm, go check Walmart before it’s too late! Either way, Binghamton girls never fall short of fashionable on this beloved day (maybe the alcohol blanket helps our juniors and seniors rough the cold ;] ). Stay safe, ladies!

Binghamton Contributor