An Open Letter to My Past, Present and Future Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Dear Me,

Yes, you.  I know it’s been a while, but I figured it’s time we finally speak. It’s going to be hard to get these words down, but I will try my best.

You’ve gone through a lot, some happy some sad and some smack in the middle. Life has taken tons of turns to get you to the place you are in this very moment. So here is some advice, a few “do’s” and “don’ts” to help guide you through the amazing life that you have been, and will continue to be, living.

Don’t be afraid to be afraid. Fear is always going to be a part of you whether you like it or not. It is what you do with that fear that will drive you to do extraordinary things.  

Dream a lot. Let your mind wander into places you never thought that it could go. Imagine what you think may be impossible and make it possible.

Don’t hold back. Let loose and be as crazy as you can. Take as many risks as possible because you never know where they may lead you. You’re only young once and you only have one life so take advantage of every opportunity.

Be passionate and work hard.  Find the things that you love and pursue them as far as you can. Whether that be sports, Broadway, business, journalism, cinema, economics or anything else, go for it. It may not be easy but if you love it, it will be worth it.

Don’t be shy. People tend to have that misconception of you but do your best to prove them wrong. Be loud, be confident and always stand up tall.

Know that everything will be okay. Even if the world feels like it’s crumbling down around you. Even if you feel lost, know that that you will find yourself and that it is okay to struggle. 

Don’t let mistakes discourage you. We all make them. We all screw up, possibly hurting ourselves or others. You must learn from them and know that they are what make you human.

Keep your family and friends close. The ones you love and who love you are always going to be the most important people in your life. Through thick and thin they’ll be there.

Laugh. Smile until your cheeks hurt and laugh until your abs hurt. Life is too short and too wonderful to take everything seriously. They say the more you laugh, the longer you live.

Be kind and be thankful. Two things that can never hurt.

Lastly, be yourself because there is no one better to be. You are beautiful, smart and unique, do not let anyone tell you otherwise. As Ben Platt once said, “Don’t waste any time trying to be like anybody else because the things that make you strange are the things that make you powerful.” Could not have said it better myself.

Now you can take this advice or not, but at least try to use them as guidelines as you go through life. Be kind, be passionate, be confident, be you, and everything will fall into place.

Sincerely,

Me.

Molly Heller

Binghamton '20

Molly Abigail Heller is a Junior at Binghamton University planning to pursue a major in theater with a concentration in tech and marketing. Her biggest passions are musical theater, social media, writing and making people smile and her dream is to one day work somewhere that allows her to pursue all of those. You can usually find her hanging with her friends in and out of her sorority (Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi), listening to music, at the gym or obsessing over something Bachelor Nation related. "Passionately smashing every expectation".
Binghamton Contributor