My Halloween Inspiration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

With Halloween being only a day away, the excitement and stress of the holiday are taking over. Since Halloween is on a Friday this year (YASSSS), it’s become a weekend event, aka Halloweekend. The pressure is on now because there isn’t just one day to dress up; there are three, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Halloween is one of the only times during the year when everyone comes out of their shell and brings their A- game to State Street. This holiday allows people to be anyone they want to be for the weekend and let loose. Once you enter college, the connotation of trick-or-treating is a distant memory and the purpose of Halloween is to party. Girls who dress conservatively during the day, bring out the slutty in their costume. For once, there are no expectations and no judgments because everyone wants to have a good time.

I’d like to think that I am super creative in terms of coming up with costume ideas, but usually I just go with whatever is easiest and if I have clothes that would work with it. In addition, I always find that Halloween creeps up on me every year, so this time I decided to do a little planning in advance! I have two out of three costume ideas so far, so I think I am doing well.

For one night I am going to be a hippie. Although it is a little overdone by the typical sorority girl, I felt that I could do a good job with the clothes that I already own. OK, I have to admit that in fifth grade I was a hippie. I guess I am a costume repeater, a crime that should never be committed. Whatever, I’m over it; there are no rules on Halloween. Anyways, I’m wearing a crochet beige crop top with skinny jeans and beige wedges. I’m ignoring the fact that it’ll be freezing out; H-ween only happens once a year, except if you’re in Greek life, it’s every weekend. As well I bought a flower headband and John Lennon inspired sunglasses (yes I know it’ll be dark, do I care?) Finally I have the quintessential peace sign necklace to really complete my “hippie look.” My inspiration for this outfit was a combination of different elements of outfits celebs wore to Coachella. In my head I’ve been to the outdoors festival like a million times with my celeb besties Kendall and Kylie Jenner or Vanessa Hudgens (she thrives off this stuff). I love the look that is channeled during the festival, because it’s a combination of trendy and chill. I try to encompass that in my everyday looks; some days it works, some days it doesn’t. I’m hoping that I can pull this look off because it’s honestly the costume I put the most effort and thought into.

The other costume idea I have is that I am going to be a sexy cat. Just so you know, tt’s completely different from just a regular cat.  When you add sexy in front of any name it makes it ten times better, hence why I am being a sexy cat duhhhhh. I bought ears from Hot Topic, flashback to Middle School, and I’m pairing it with a tight LBD and booties (you know the ones). I don’t think I can be any more cliché TBH, but it’s fine, I’ll look hot. My inspiration for this costume is basically from looking at any college girl over the years on my fb. It’s easy to pull off and 9 out 10 times you look good while doing it. (Those statistics may or may not be true) For the third day I probs will wing it or scavenge through my roommates clothes for ideas.

Anyways I hope you all were so inspired by my H-ween costumes and are ready to party it up this weekend. Remember, what happens on H-ween, stays on H-ween, so anything goes. ;)

(PSA: Most of the comments and jokes I made in this are sarcastic, except my costume ideas, those are real and 100% happening. See you DT.)

Melissa is a sophomore at Binghamton University. She is from Scarsdale, NY. She getting a dual degree in English Rhetoric and Human Development. She loves fashion, writing, and social media. Since joining the Her Campus she has interned at two magazines, CollegeFashionista.com and Paper Magazine in NYC. She currently is the Vice President of the sorority Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. She is looking forward to making the next step in her HC journey from Staff Writer to Campus Correspondent.
Binghamton Contributor