This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

1. Learn to Balance Two Majors

This semester, I decided that I am going to take on another major. Along with majoring in Human Development, I want to major in English Rhetoric. I am very nervous for this, but I am optimistic for my success and the new challenge. I chose to do this because I think this will be beneficial for my future career path. I want to go into the communications and/or journalism field so it just makes sense to do this major as well. I hope that this semester I’ll really flourish in my English classes and that all of this will be worth it in the end.

2. Take Control of my Future

After my incredible summer of interning in the city at Paper Magazine, I have been looking forward to next summer and the possible internship I could obtain. I really want to work at another magazine similar to Paper. My goal for this semester is to really try to network and get a head start searching for internships. Although I scored an awesome internship last summer, still, it’s really hard in today’s society scoring one. Every twenty year old is fighting for the same positions and companies can only offer so many spots that it makes it really difficult for a college student to get experience in their desired field. I personally believe it’s never too early to get a head start on the competition which is why I hope I can get my act together and contact employers before winter break.

3. Learn to YOCO (you only college once)

As I enter my junior year in college, besides the extra emphasis on the importance of schoolwork and networking for my future, I am also just starting out my twenties. Goodbye being a teenager, and hello real world! No longer can I get away with my “teenage antics,” now I really have to start maturing into a real, full-fledged adult. Scary right? I know college is suppose to prepare us for the future, but nothing can truly prepare you for life after college. The next decade I will hit is my thirties and that’s when things really get serious. My goal this semester is really to put myself out there, not just in terms of career and academics, but in all aspects of my life. I need to take risks, and start living like there’s no tomorrow because soon enough college will be over and being adult will become much more of a reality. 

Melissa is a sophomore at Binghamton University. She is from Scarsdale, NY. She getting a dual degree in English Rhetoric and Human Development. She loves fashion, writing, and social media. Since joining the Her Campus she has interned at two magazines, CollegeFashionista.com and Paper Magazine in NYC. She currently is the Vice President of the sorority Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. She is looking forward to making the next step in her HC journey from Staff Writer to Campus Correspondent.
Binghamton Contributor