Introducing the New Editors: Nesh Pillay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

In February 1990, a week after the end of apartheid, the cry of Her Campus’s new editor, Nesh Pillay was first heard at Westville Hospital in Durban, South Africa. Is it coincidental that South Africa experienced so many monumental milestones in the same month? Probably not.

Nesh is the second oldest daughter in her family. She has no brothers and absolutely adores her parents and three sisters. She has always been known as a very eclectic, slightly weird girl. This was highlighted by the fact that she stood out of all her school pictures because she was taller than all the boys [don’t worry, they eventually caught up] and her ears were bigger than all the elephants [just kidding, there were no elephants at her elementary school, just her middle school].

When she was eleven years old, her parents decided that it would be in their best interest to relocate to Canada. In retrospect, it is in nobody’s best interest to relocate to Canada. However, the poutine, beavers and low drinking age were fantastic. She quite enjoyed spending her emo-preteen years in Toronto, listening to Simple Plan and scheming to marry Avril Lavigne’s older brother.  Creep.

When she was a month short of her sixteenth birthday, her parents made another well-informed decision; her father accepted a job offer in Albany. It was there that she managed to wipe off the black eyeliner and ditch the studded belts. She excelled at Bethlehem Central High School and upon graduating in 2008, began attending Binghamton University.

At Binghamton she met a wonderful group of friends who are sure to remain her lifelong partners-in-crime.  Some find only one soul mate, she was lucky enough to find a whole apartment full of them.

Though her whimsical personality and refusal to commit to anything has forced her to change her major multiple times [one week she is Elliot Reed, and the next, Chelsea Handler], her passion for writing and making people smile has remained constant. It is because of this that she decided write for Her Campus Binghamton.

In the upcoming academic year, she will be the Campus Cutie Editor. This is probably for the best, since she is the genius responsible for bringing you a few of the site’s finest young men, such as Aaron Vanderhoff, Doug Milde, Brian Carbonette, and Jason Wu.

Nesh is also responsible for a few knee-slappers, such as  the “How to Ride the Blue Bus” article and HC Bing’s new “Dear Nesh” advice column.

When she is not solidifying her hilarity on Her Campus, Nesh works two jobs and is double majoring in Economics and English with a concentration in Rhetoric. She hopes to either be a T.V. broadcaster or take the business world by storm one day [while wearing awesome shoes]. Don’t take my word for it, however, chances are, Nesh will change her mind and become a dog whisperer next semester.

Nesh Pillay is very excited to be the newest member of the Her Campus Binghamton Editorial team and cannot wait to bring her fresh ideas [and cute boys] to the table. One thing is for certain, you definitely want to stay tuned to see what this unpredictable biddy does next!

Raven Rivera is a senior at Binghamton University majoring in English and Rhetoric with a minor in Theatre. After living on Long Island all her life, she made the move to upstate NY and is enjoying the snowy weather. At Binghamton, Raven is the president and editor-in-chief of the newly SA-chartered publication, Her Campus Binghamton. In her spare time she enjoys watching entirely too much television, romantic comedies and Disney movies, and preparing for her American Idol auditions one day. She is currently an editorial intern for iaam.com and in the future, hopes to move to NYC and be a head writer/executive producer of an awesome television show on ABC, NBC, FOX, or Bravo (really, any will do).