How to balance your school and social life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Binghamton is known for its nightlife, I mean, after all, we do have SUNY’s top-rated college bar! Now that we are back to in-person classes, it can be challenging to navigate your academics while having a social life here at Binghamton. As an upperclassman, I have discovered some tips and tricks on how to maintain my grades while still enjoying my college life!

Plan out your studying

I like to plan out when I am going to do my work at the beginning of the week. I know that I like to go out on Tuesdays and Thursday’s therefore I usually get my work done on Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday! By planning out your work, you can have fun and not worry about your work never getting done. 

Plan your schedule accordingly

Do you know you struggle the morning after a night out? Well, then you may want to think about taking later classes to avoid missing or being late consistently. I know it’s tempting to register for that 8:30 and be done with classes by noon, but trust me your high school morning personality completely disappears in college. 

Know your Limits 

Sure going out during the week is fun, but it’s important to know yourself and if you are capable of a night out after a long day with very little time to recover. Always remember you have class the next morning, you want to wake up feeling ready no one wants to be in lecture hall hungover (although we have all been there). Remember just because you׳r going out does not mean you have to drink! Sometimes it’s beneficial to stay sober on those weeknights out. 

Choose your friends wisely

It’s easy to get caught up in the wrong crowd, unfortunately, some people are here for more of the party scene than the academics. Make sure you surround yourself with people who share your values. Once you find your friend group, you can have study date pre-games and all! Whoever said getting good grades couldn’t be fun!

While we are here for school it is important to be able to enjoy yourself too! Don’t let yourself get too caught up in your school work, reward yourself with that fun night out! I hope these thips and tricks can help you balance your academics and social life here at Binghamton.

Jasmine Volz

Binghamton '23

Jasmine is currently a student and Her Campus Chapter Leader at Binghamton University. Outside of school she is probably scrolling through tiktok, testing out a new local coffee shop, or spending time with friends. She hopes to persue a carrer in Journalism or Public Relations.