How to Survive Thanksgiving Day Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Wake Up Early (ish)

Starting the day earlier will allow you to get the most out of it. You can watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, help clean up before relatives come over or help pack up whatever your family is bringing to another relative’s home. It also gives you more time to catch up with friends and family you haven’t seen in a while.

Be Helpful

It’s your break and I’m sure the last thing you want to do is look after the younger kids or help in the kitchen but it will make the day so much easier. Help set the table or ask if there is anything you can help cook. You can also try to keep any younger cousins or siblings that are running around the house entertained. Take them outside and play some football or turn on the Macy’s Day Parade, anything to keep them occupied until turkey time. Your relatives will really appreciate it.

Turn on Some Music in the Kitchen

Playing some music in the kitchen can take away some of the stress of cooking and make it go by faster. I love playing Christmas music or Frank Sinatra. It makes the work a little more fun and almost everyone sings along at one point or another. Playing music during Thanksgiving dinner is nice too!

Pace yourself!

With all the delicious food around you, it’s hard to wait until dinner. Try not to snack as much as you normally do, especially if you’ve noticed during past Thanksgivings that you are pretty full before the turkey even comes out. There is also dessert, so try to be aware of how much you’re eating throughout the day. That way you won’t miss out on the delicious main dishes!

Get everyone involved in the clean up

This is especially helpful if you have a big family! Leaving the dishes to a few people can be really stressful and takes up time that you could spend with family. Have some people clear the table while others wash and dry. Get a few other people to put the dishes away after they’re clean. The mess from dinner will be gone in no time!

Even with all the craziness-try to enjoy the day!

It can be overwhelming but try to take the time to enjoy your day. Visit all of your family that you haven’t seen in a while and eat that good food!

Allegra Whittam

Binghamton '20

Allegra (not named after the allergy medicine) is majoring in English with a concentration in Global Culture and Creative Writing at Binghamton University! She loves many things but reading, writing, musical theatre and watching movies have been her most consistent passions. In her free time, she is most likely sitting in her dorm watching the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, looking at Instagram travel accounts and pinning inspirational quotes and books to read on her Pinterest.
Binghamton Contributor