This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

The day has finally arrived; it’s Friday! I think all college students can come to a common consensus that they look forward to this day all week. Classes are over, the weekend is just beginning, and there are endless possibilities as to what can happen over the weekend. Many Binghamton students choose to spend their weekend nights heading downtown to State Street. People look forward to this all week and want to have the best experiences as possible. Many of these nights contribute to the memories that we will remember twenty years later. Here are some tips on how to make the most of a night out!

1.     Have enough money: When going downtown it’s important to have enough money for cabs, paying the cover charge, and buying drinks. It is required when going out to spend money; it’s inevitable so make sure you have enough. However, be cautious on how much money you bring out because one of two things can occur: a) you spend more money then intended on drinks or b) you lose your wallet and all the money you brought with you.

2.     Pick the right outfit: Going out is the time of the week for guys and girls to wear their hottest outfits. We all love to dress to impress. However, from my own personal experience, make sure that what you are wearing you are comfortable in. Girls tend to overestimate their ability to walk in high heels for many hours and end up taking their shoes off by the end of the night. When you are in pain, being on State Street is the last place you want to be! To avoid this discomfort, don’t kid with yourself; be realistic and wear what you can manage.

3.     Pace your drinking: Some nights downtown can begin at 10 or 10:30 depending on if you are going to a frat party or mixer and can end at 3 am when the bars close. That is a big window of time to drink. Rookies, aka freshman make the mistake in drinking a lot in the beginning of the night and end up either getting too intoxicated to be out or they get sick. To avoid this, make sure that you pace your drinking. If you are starting earlier in the night, have a drink in one hand and water in the other. By doing this it will allow you to ease yourself into drinking. Don’t be that girl that is getting kicked out of a bar or party because she is throwing up or is too out of control!

4.     Don’t overthink the night: Every weekend there is a certain expectation. People have high hopes that the weekend will be fun and a way to let loose after a stressful week. However, it’s important to not overthink the night. My best advice would be to just live in the moment and have fun, YOLO! Go into every situation open-minded (but don’t be too naive) because you never know who you could meet on State Street!

Melissa is a sophomore at Binghamton University. She is from Scarsdale, NY. She getting a dual degree in English Rhetoric and Human Development. She loves fashion, writing, and social media. Since joining the Her Campus she has interned at two magazines, CollegeFashionista.com and Paper Magazine in NYC. She currently is the Vice President of the sorority Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. She is looking forward to making the next step in her HC journey from Staff Writer to Campus Correspondent.
Binghamton Contributor