How to Bring Some Summer Sunshine into Your Breezy Fall Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Although the scorching summer heat has quickly turned into windy chills, there are a few staples from your summer apparel that can be brought into your fall wardrobe. So if you thought that you were going to have say goodbye to all things summer, you are in luck because we know the ways to turn blazing summer outfits into cool autumn attire.

1. Are you crop top crazy? Well lucky for you, you can wear your favorite crop all year long! Just because the weather has changed from the sweltering heat to brisk wind, doesn’t mean you have to put your crop tops in storage. Instead of the typical summer look by coupling a crop top with high waist jean shorts, match with a high waist mini skirt or skater skirt. You can also explore the world of long sleeve crop tops and match with any of the above or with skinny high waisted pants. Showing your mid drift never goes out of season!
  2. Despite popular belief, you can wear white after Labor Day! Instead of pairing it with a colorful top and sandals or wedges, wear it with a comfy fall sweater. Also, pairing the white pants with a classic jean shirt can turn those summer pants into a fall look. Add a basic colored flat to coordinate with top or if you want to dress it up, add a pair of pumps.
  3. All about color? Afraid once fall hits you have to turn to wearing blacks and grays? Don’t fret…adding color to a winter outfit adds personality to your winter wardrobe. Don’t be afraid to bring in the pastels! For example, if you are wearing a plain black or white top add a splash of color to the outfit by wearing colored pants. To make the outfit look more fall chic, pair that simple top with a colored skirt and matching boots. Just because the weather gets dull and gray doesn’t mean your wardrobe needs to be!
  4. Really like that tank from the summer? Why not wear it in the fall! You can easily wear your summer tank or tee by layering a long sweater over it and compete the outfit with a scarf.
  5. Can’t let go of your shorts? Are your legs your best feature? Wearing shorts are very doable in the fall; you just need to know which ones are suitable for the chilly season. By combining a pair of black shorts, in various types of fabrics, with black tights or patterned tights, you can still wear your favorite shorts. Keep it casual by wearing a chunky sweater on top or dress it up with a sheer tank or crop top.
  6. Another summer look that has been transitioned into a fall ensemble are sundresses. Everyone has their favorite sundress that they wore throughout the summer. By layering a baggy sweater over the dress, not only can you wear your favorite sundress, but also you now have a cute fall look. Want to make it even more fall chic, add lace up boots or combat boots to give the outfit some edge.
  7. Maxi- dresses and skirts have been a real trend this past summer, but the fad doesn’t have to end! Maxi dresses are perfect to wear to any formal or non-formal gathering. You can dress it up or you can dress it down. By making the dress more “fall appropriate” stay away from pastels and look to cooler fall colors like gray, deep red, forest green, cream and brown. Top the outfit off with a leather jacket or sweater. If the dress is high-low in front or has a slit on the side, pairing booties or combat boots will add to that fall look. 
Melissa is a sophomore at Binghamton University. She is from Scarsdale, NY. She getting a dual degree in English Rhetoric and Human Development. She loves fashion, writing, and social media. Since joining the Her Campus she has interned at two magazines, CollegeFashionista.com and Paper Magazine in NYC. She currently is the Vice President of the sorority Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. She is looking forward to making the next step in her HC journey from Staff Writer to Campus Correspondent.