This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

The sky is getting jet black earlier, we’ve started to wear chunky scarves, and we’re layering thick socks under our boots. I don’t just call this fall; I call this the time to retire your favorite summer shades (yes even Essie’s “Turquoise and Caicos!”) It’s the season of showing off colors that contain the eerie chill of the Binghamton weather. Take inspiration from the dark grey clouds and the color of the bare bark and put away those bright neons and pastels. Here are the top nail colors for Fall 2013:

The New Black is Almost Black: Dark Nails

It’s inevitable: fall means dark everything. Not only do we see oxblood lips and burgundy clothes but also we are seeing almost black nail colors. Zac Posen adorned his models with an oxblood nail and burgundy lips, so edgy! Try to stay towards café noirs, midnight blues, charcoal and onyx.

Try It:

Oxblood– Zoya Toni; $8

Midnight blue- Rimmel Midnight Blue; $3.20

Café Noir- Essie Little Brown Dress; $8.50

Charcoal- Butter London Chimney Sweep; $15

Onyx- O.P.I Suzi Loves Cowboys; $8

Let’s Get Shiny With it: Metallic Nails

Change up the glitter trend and add a bit of shine with luminescent nails. For Rebecca Minkoff’s Fall/Winter 2013 collection, the models rocked metallic nails. It’s eye catching and pairs well with rings, a few bracelets and a boyfriend watch.

Try It:

Essie No Place Like Chrome; $8

Essie Penny Talk; $8

No Math Needed: Geometric Nails

Throw away all the knowledge of trigonometry and geometry proofs and go back to the basics. Geometric nails are crisp, clean and classy. Take a twist on traditional French manicure and opt for a nude with a black sharp edge. Or paint the entire nail a pale nude and use black to draw triangles at the base of the cuticle with the point facing the edge of the nail. So chic, your friends will be complimenting you all week long.

Try It:

L’Oreal Walk on the Beach; $4.99

Essie Licorice; $8.50

Caitlin is from Long Island, New York and is a sophomore. She is majoring in Psychology and minoring in Health and Wellness Studies at Binghamton University. Caitlin loves make-up and gets her inspiration from Allure and Glamour magazine. She loves living a healthy lifestyle and contributes her passion for health to her mother. She is excited to be apart of the Her Campus team.