HC Bing’s Favorite Summer Reads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

As you sit in Bartle agonizing over your economics notes, you’re going out of your mind, and for good reason.

You are mere hours away from handing in your last final, going crazy with your housemates at Bar Crawl, and settling into 3 ½ months of blissful summer freedom.  Sun-soaked visions of beach days and summer nights dance in your mind. You can’t wait to step onto that warm sand, don your new VS bikini, lay out and lose yourself in some good ol’ fashion beach reading.  

After a year of dense, mind numbing assigned reading, reading a book you truly enjoy that doesn’t require a 10-page response paper can be the one of the sweetest summer perks. The HC Staff presents our top picks for summer beach reads 2011.

“My favorite summer read is Catcher in the Rye it’s a classic about growing up and losing innocence. Every summer I try to read it because I miss being a kid and there are so many more things in the book I realize, as I get older and more mature. It’s a fun quick read and makes me laugh out loud!”
-Deena Buechler, staff writer, junior, sociology major

“If you’ve seen the movie, thought it was great, and haven’t read the book, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen is definitely a must. We all know the books are always better.”  Kristin Letsch, staff writer, sophomore, English major

“The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. It’s a tearjerker and teaches you how to appreciate life.” – Jeanette Paez, staff writer, junior, biology major

“This is going to sound really lame but I love James Patterson. His sort of ‘thriller fiction’ entertains me like no other. His books are quick reads because the chapters are really short and because you just don’t want to put it down. Mary, Mary is a personal favorite.” – Raven Rivera, campus correspondent, junior, English major

“Bridget Jones Diary is the quintessential summer read for me. It’s light, fun and perfect for a day lounging around at the beach or for the commute to your internship. Bridget is the perfect modern-day heroine—clumsy, honest, and entertaining from start to finish” – Lauren Howley, campus correspondent, junior, English and marketing major

*Photo courtesy of Google Images

Lauren Howley is a junior at Binghamton University pursuing a double degreen in English/rhetoric and Marketing. Originally from Staten Island, New York, Lauren thinks that New York City is the most beautiful place in the world and hopes to one day live and work there. She was a staff writer for the Arts and Lifestyle section of the Binghamton PipeDream, where she spent her time writing about fashion and college life. Last summer, she spent her time researching honeymoon destinations and blogging about bridal trends as an intern for The Knot Weddings Magazine in New York City. In her spare time, Lauren enjoys laughing, hanging out with her friends, blasting music while she drives, applying movie quotes every situation possible, and drinking coffee like its her job. In the future, she hopes to pursue a career in lifestyle journalism or entrepreneurship.