Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

October is finally here, which means that we’ve only got one thing on our minds: Halloween! While some of us begin planning our Halloween costumes over the summer, some of us end up scrambling for a costume in the last weeks before the big Halloween weekend arrives here at Binghamton. There’s no need to stress out about your costume though, we’ve got you covered. Whether you’re looking to dress up with a small group of friends or a large one, there are tons of creative costumes you can play around with. We’ve even got a few ideas for some solo costumes that will make you stand out in the sea of people down on State Street.

Group Costumes

It’s always so difficult to find the perfect group costume that all of your friends will agree on and can all participate in. If you think hard enough and look outside the box, you’ll realize that group costumes are so simple! Here’s a few great ideas that we totally recommend:

1. The Wizard of Oz

“The Wizard of Oz” characters are a super cute Halloween idea. Grab a bunch of friends and pick a Dorothy, Tin Man, Scarecrow, Lion, Glinda, Wicked Witch, and maybe throw in some flying monkeys! The Spirit Halloween store across from campus has these costumes in stock, but they’re also easy to make yourself if you go on a little Binghamton shopping trip.

Dorothy could wear a cute blue dress and red heels! The Tin Man could wear a silver sequined outfit! You can make it as crazy or as simple as you want.

2.  The Rugrats

“The Rugrats” can be turned into an adorable costume idea, and we’re sure that you and your friends would make a statement by choosing these childhood favorites! Girls can be boys if necessary to fill out Tommy, Chuckie, Phil, Lil, Angelica, and Susie. Pull up an image of the characters and try to find cute clothes that could pass for Rugrat attire. If you want to go the extra mile, iron on a picture of your character onto whatever top you’re wearing!

3. The Classics

Army girls, Native Americans, cowgirls, oh my! These costumes are super simple and cost-efficient. Plus, you can include as many people as you’d like because there aren’t any set characters. These costume ideas are perfect for those last minute moments when you’re all wondering what you should be for Halloween and it’s approaching quickly.

Solo Costumes

Now, let’s say you’re more into the solo side of Halloween. That’s fine! Try out one of these suggestions:

1. The Mysterious A

If you watch “Pretty Little Liars” and are completely obsessed with the mysterious A character, why not put yourself in A’s shoes for the evening? Try this out in two ways depending on how much you love or hate Halloween: a) wear a black hoodie and black pants, making sure to always keep your phone out to send creepy texts to your friends or b) wear a black mask and either purchase the Delia’s “Who is A?” shirt or make your own! This costume is easy to execute and reasonably affordable.

2. Princess for a Night

You love princesses, right? Of course you do. Either pick a Disney princess and recreate her look, or just buy a crown and a pretty dress to be an original princess! Guys will totally want to steal your crown, which can lead to some flirty fun on the dance floor.

3. “I’m a Mouse, duh”

Cats, butterflies, mice, and every animal or bug you can think of are fun and flirty costumes that you can put together with the simple purchase of a pair of wings or ears. Head on over to the Halloween store and pick a few key accessories to match with a black dress and killer make-up for the night.

Are you a little more excited for Halloween now that you have some costume ideas floating around? We sure hope so! If you think of any fun costumes that you’d like to share, let us know in the comments.

Carmen Rey

Binghamton

Born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1991, Carmen Rey moved to Akron, Ohio as a kid and attended Our Lady of the Elms High School, a small all-girls high school in Akron. After graduating with a class of 28, Carmen attended Kent State University for a year before doing the National Student Exchange program to Binghamton University where she transferred the following year. While at Binghamton, she found a place at the Binghamton Her Campus Branch as a contributing writer. The following year she became Profiles Editor and spent a semester studying abroad in London through Binghamton University's Semester-in-London program. Now she's a senior and the Campus Correspondent of the Binghamton University Branch, majoring in English Literature and Rhetoric as well as blogging on BU's admissions blog.