This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

#FreeKesha

Last week, a judge denied Kesha’s request to end her contract with Sony, forcing her to continue to not make music. Although this story has been everywhere, in case you don’t know what is going on, here is a very general idea of it;

Kesha worked with producer Dr. Luke under Sony. One night, Kesha claims, Dr. Luke drugged and raped her. Following this she did not want to work with him any longer; she didn’t want to put him in jail exactly, she just didn’t want to work with the man who abused her. She went to court in an attempt to end the contract that binds her to Sony and to making another 6 albums. Her request was denied.

In one of the millions of articles I have read on this case, the judges reasoning for siding with Sony was because it would be harmful for their company to break the contract. Let’s be real here, you’re an extremely rich company, I think you can take the hit. It’s not like she is going to create music under them anyways so why don’t they just cut the cord at this point? Besides, any company should be more interested in the well being of their employees and clients, than the monetary or political side effects of ending a contract, especially when it has something to do with a topic as sensitive as physical and emotional abuse.

Celebrities and supporters have been pouring out their love on social media for her since the decision was announced. In fact, Taylor Swift donated $250,000 towards her legal fees and living expenses as she is not making any money. On twitter, musician Jack Antonoff has offered to make music with her and then leak it.

Kesha has been trapped for the past few years and honestly this case decision is setting a bad example. Victims of assault and abuse oftentimes are too scared or nervous to come out to the world and tell their story. When someone actually does and they are ignored or essentially told they are lying, it just adds another reason for why victims should not come forward.

In a perfect and just world, Kesha would be free to make music with someone else and wouldn’t be dealing with the unnecessary emotional pain from this seemingly never-ending struggle. I think I can speak for most when I say that we are all on her side and until she is free of all of this, there won’t be any shortage of support and love for such a strong woman.

#FreeKesha

Alexis Y

Binghamton

Binghamton Contributor