This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Dining Halls: This one seems silly but it’s actually a brilliant idea. If you can’t study well in dead silence and you have the appetite of a bear just waking up from hibernation, then the dining hall is a great place for you. You have unlimited access to food and if you pick a strategic spot, you can go virtually unbothered all day by those pesky Sodexo workers.  Just make sure not to spill soda all over your laptop, you wouldn’t want to erase that 12 page paper you’ve been writing.

Discovery Centers: The Discovery Centers for most of the residence hours have limited hours but during the time that they are open, I highly recommend taking advantage of them. They’re made for studying and they’re a much more convenient walk than trekking all the way to Bartle with laptop, book bag, and downtrodden attitude in tow.  Make a peep in these centers and you’re sure to get shushed quicker than a person chewing popcorn too loud during a suspenseful scene at the movies.

Science Library: This is a little bit more of a trek than some of the other locations on campus but it’s still just as useful of a place.  A bit smaller and cozier feeling, the science library is the one of the forgotten study locales on campus. If you’re on that side of campus already though, I would highly suggest snagging a seat.

Science Buildings: A few semesters back I actually made this my go to place to study during finals week. Spaced throughout all the science buildings, there are actually tables and chairs located on the outermost corners of the buildings. If you’re quick enough (and brave enough) to trek it out to Science V during the cold December winters and hang out alone for a few hours, you’ll probably be far more productive than you might fare in the crowded, stinky library.

Glen G. Bartle Library: This is unarguably the go to hot spot on campus for studying. There’s something about this place, especially during Finals Week that just sucks you in. I’m convinced the librarians put some sort of study serums in the ventilation in this place because every time I go to the library I am so productive. During finals week you’ll find it especially comforting to be surrounded by bleak and weary eyed students suffering in silence as you all study for finals into the wee hours of the morning. When you start to become downtrodden and feel defeated because you still haven’t remembered all the elements in the periodic table, just turn to your fellow classmate let out a small sigh and remember, you are all struggling together. Share a handful of goldfish, pass the hand sanitizer or Kleenex, and get to studying.

One last tip, if there’s any place you absolutely SHOULD NOT study, it’s your dorm room. This place  is a trap for the weak. If you think you’re getting work done, think again. This is where you go to unwind, let your brain charge and get rest. If you tried studying in the comfort of your bed during the regular semester and failed, studying when you’re sleep deprived and seriously missing your bed at home will only be worse. The lounges, no matter how quiet you may think they can be are the exact opposite, people come in here when they want to get away from their roommate who hasn’t showered for a day or two and has lost all sense of time and direction. All it takes is one loud person to set off everyone else and next thing you know you’re all gathered around a laptop or TV watching YouTube videos of Koala bears sleeping. Many have tried the “I’ll-just-stay-in-my-dorm-and-study” technique and most fail (myself included). 

Shavonna Q. Hinton
Binghamton Contributor