Campus Celebrity: Ingrid Michaelson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

I decided to spice up campus celeb this week and do someone who doesn’t currently attend the school, but who is indeed a celeb! Our featured collegiette this week is singer and songwriter Ingrid Michaelson, a New York bred Binghamton alumna who has made a name for herself in the indie folk music world. Her music has been featured in episodes of many popular television shows and also many commercials. Here is a little bit about her!

Name: Ingrid Ellen Egbert Michaelson

Hometown: Staten Island, NY

Year of music debut: 2002

Music style: Indie folk/indie pop

Age: 34

Major: Theater (she was also a member of the Binghamtonics!)

Martial Status: Married to fellow musician Greg Laswell since 2011

Michaelson began recording her own music in 2002 and promoted herself through Myspace. She eventually put out her first album on her very own record label, how impressive is that?! She became successful and signed with Original Signal Recordings in 2007. Since then, she has released many albums, some of which have debuted at the top of the Billboard Charts. She holds many concerts all around the world, and her songs are very cheery but also mellow and different. Michaelson got her start here at Binghamton with the theater program and a cappella groups, and she is a great success story. She is one of many Binghamton alumni who have gone on to become extremely successful!

Rachel is from northern New Jersey and is currently a junior at Binghamton University in New York. She is majoring in Psychology with a minor in Education. She has always been interested in fashion, and she loves to write. She was first a news writer and then the Arts and Entertainment editor for her award-winning high school newspaper, The Highland Fling. She now is a contributing news writer to BU's paper, Pipe Dream. She is thrilled to be a new member of the Her Campus team!
Binghamton Contributor