This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

As the temperature in Binghamton takes its annual plunge, I am starting to prepare for my favorite time of year. Something about the cold air and the holiday cheer makes these next few weeks special. But, sometimes, it can be difficult to get in the spirit, especially with finals week just around the corner. Here are five ways to get yourself ready for the holiday season!

decorate

My favorite childhood memories include my family and I putting up the Christmas Tree and setting up our winter village. Even though I spend most of the season at my college apartment, I still take the time to hang up garlands and lights. We even have ornaments to hang on our small Christmas tree. Decorating is a crucial part of preparing for the holiday season and is a perfect way to remind yourself how important celebrations like this are. You don’t have to buy expensive or elaborate decorations. I recommend cutting out snowflakes and hanging them from windows, covering plain doors with holiday wrapping paper, and making ornaments out of construction paper. Not only are these decorations bank account friendly, but creating them is also a great way to bring people together!

Bake holiday cookies

Food is essential to the holiday season, and nothing is more iconic than holiday cookies. One of my favorite traditions involves all of my friends coming together for a giant cookie bake-off. We listen to holiday music, wear matching pajamas and bake hundreds of cookies. It always puts me in the Christmas spirit and reminds me how lucky I am to be making memories that taste this good.

Watch Holiday Movies

I know the holidays are on the way when the Hallmark Channel starts playing Christmas movies 24/7. The stories of small towns, men in plaid flannels and romantic kisses under the mistletoe definitely prepare me for the holidays. One of my favorites is Christmas Under Wraps, starring Candice Cameron Bure and David O’Donnell. Even if romance films aren’t your cup of eggnog, try to take some time out of your finals study schedule to catch traditional films like How the Grinch Stole Christmas or A Christmas Story.

Volunteer and donate

Although we often get caught up in the extravaganza of Christmas, it is important to take some time every year to help those who may be struggling. My family usually donates to local food pantries and helps with serving dinner at the Salvation Army around the holidays. I also recommend donating toys and clothes to families in need. You can check with local businesses, churches or schools for lists of requests and gift ideas.

Spend time with loved ones

The importance of family and friends is another aspect that often gets forgotten during the holidays. Although Santa Claus, a new Pentatonix Christmas album, and cute presents are great, the thing you should be focused on these next few weeks is spending quality time with the people you love. These memories are irreplaceable, and you want to make as many as possible.

Overall, the holidays can be overwhelming and hard to prepare for. But, by following these steps, you will find yourself cherishing every moment and loving this time of year.

Nicolette is a Junior at Binghamton University, with a major in Psychology and a minor in Global Studies. Other than serving as Editor In Chief for Her Campus at Binghamton, she is an opinions writer for Pipe Dream student newspaper, Vice President of Philanthropy and Community Service for the Panhellenic Council, and is very active in her sorority. After graduation, Nicolette hopes to pursue a master's degree in Journalism.