Who is Professor Kim?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Berry chapter.

Dr. Kimberly Field-Springer, or Professor Kim as she asks her students to call her, is new here at Berry in the department of communications. Her family relocated to Georgia from Ohio, where she taught for two years at Ashland University. She received her PhD from Ohio University in 2013. Professor Kim currently teaches public speaking, principles of public relations, as well as cases and campaigns. Come along with HC Berry as we get to know Professor Kim.

What is the best part about being a professor?

“There are so many things that I like. You have the ability to inspire young adults to live out their dreams and to make their dreams happen. I would say that’s the most rewarding part. The relationship is so important to me. I value the relationships with my students. Once you get your first position you learn how much of a privilege and honor it is. And how much you can really do to help students reach their goals. For example, I had a student, Lauren at Ashland University, who didn’t really know what she wanted to do but at the time knew she wanted to continue her education. I worked with her, and she is finishing out her MA at University of Cincinnati. We still stay in touch, and that’s exciting. We worked together to get her prepared, as far as her scholarship and letters of recommendation. Then one day she received a letter saying she was going to get an assistantship. They were going to pay for her schooling and give her a stipend for teaching. It was really cool to be a witness in that situation, and for someone to get that opportunity to get a free education. ‘An education is something that nobody can ever take from you,’ which is a quote from my mother, who valued education especially for her children.”

What have you discovered about Berry in the first few months that you’ve been here?

“I’m still discovering Berry. It’s overwhelming for a new professor at a new place all together. The biggest thing that I’ve discovered at Berry is a sense of home and community. My colleagues are always there for each other. I know that I can ask them questions at any time, even though they might be annoyed. The students have a community, and I see a lot of affirmation and compassion between students, which I haven’t seen at other places before. I feel like there is sense of inclusion at Berry for everyone here all the way down from the faculty to everyone who works here, lives here, and studies here.”

How has your family adjusted with you moving all the way to Georgia from Ohio?

“It’s the biggest move we’ve ever made, and we’re still adjusting. We experienced some culture shock, but not the stereotypical culture shock of moving from the North to South. We left a place that we were very familiar with, and we were surrounded by family members only to move to a completely different place where we knew only a few people. There were also a lot of logistics concerning my daughter Harper who is will be 2 in April. We had to find a daycare and a new doctor, etc. When you pack up all your stuff and leave, you have to find everything and everything was contingent on everything else. You have to have a doctor to get into a daycare and to get a doctor you have to have all this paperwork that’s in a lot of boxes, and at the same time I was preparing for my first year at Berry. But we’re all very happy where we are now. It just took some time to adjust.”

How is Berry different from Ashland University?

“A lot more commonalities than there are differences. I’ve always thought that Berry students would get along with Ashland students because of the values and beliefs. Berry and Ashland are both very faith based, but I believe everyone has the right to choose their own faith. I feel like there are a lot of faiths out there that overlap.”

Is there anything you would like the Berry student to know about you?

“I think that my advice to Berry students is that the people of Berry are amazing. Don’t be fearful, anxious or nervous to meet with faculty because we are your biggest supporters. Don’t be hesitant to form a relationship with your professors. We also have great chocolate in our offices. Some of those relationships outside of the classroom are some of the most meaningful relationships you have. It’s a more personable and mentoring type of relationship.”

Nicole Lea Gilmer is a Sophomore Psychology and Communications with a concentration in public relations double major. Nicole Lea is originally from Winder, Ga. and graduated from Winder-Barrow High School. She is a huge fan of YouTube and spends way too much time keeping up with her favorites on other social media. Nicole Lea hopes one day to work with LGBTQ+ youth as an advocate or as a PR represenative for YouTube. But currently enjoys working as a volunteer with Summit Quest Cancer Support Services and as a GED Teacher for the Berry College ESL Program as a Bonner Scholar. 
Annabeth Sadler is the campus correspondent for the Berry College chapter of Her Campus. She is a junior majoring in communication with a concentration in public relations. Annabeth is from Valdosta, Ga. and graduated from Valdosta High School. She adamantly wanted to be a spy when she was a little girl, but these days she's thinking that after graduation she would happily take a job working on the PR side of the publishing industry or a job with the Her Campus management team. Annabeth enjoys reading YA fiction, watching the same movies over and over again, following Ed Sheeran closely on social media, and avidly using song lyrics in her every day vernacular.