A Woman’s Manual On How To Deal With Her Man

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Man is a vocabulary word that most women are well acquainted with. We cry over men, we fall madly in love with them, and we deal with their most annoying attributes. In Rev Run’s and Tyrese Gibson’s new book, Manology, they delve into the messy details of relationships and explain how to become a stronger, more independent woman by dealing with your relationship problems. Manology is an honest, two-sided dialog between Rev Run and Tyrese. Each speaks his part on a particular topic. The topics range from dealing with cheaters, ladies who give it up too easy, and a man’s stages of development in terms of relationships. Both authors come from similar backgrounds, but are currently at different stages in their emotional development in relationships. Rev Run was once a stereotypical rapper who spent his days doing drugs and hanging out with the wrong kind of women. He then found himself through God and is now a true practicing man of the faith. He explains how his connection with God has given him a greater respect for love and women. He is now happily married with six children and doing well. Tyrese Gibson grew up without strong male role models in his life, which led to bad behavior with women in the past. Tyrese took route similar to Rev’s and never really knew how to handle himself in a relationship. He got bored, he cheated, and he never ended up keeping women for long. Nothing ever quite worked out for him until his current relationship.

These brave men don’t hold anything back from the women and men they’re writing to. They do not give sugar coated answers or advice that is anything less than from the heart. Tyrese appears to have a bit more of a pessimistic outlook on some topics, while Rev makes lighter points  that are easier to digest. One of my favorite things Rev says is “Just because you’re boyless, doesn’t mean you have to be joyless.” Rev always concentrates on women and how important it is that we make choices that are working towards our best interests. Showing love to yourself and knowing what you deserve as a woman is just the beginning to finding inner happiness. Rev says that in order to have a happy relationship with someone else you first must love and respect yourself. A lot of women forget this because they’re so preoccupied and worried about everyone else in their lives. Women always seem to be putting their friends, family, and especially significant others first. Reading this book reminds you to take the time to recognize that you are a strong, independent woman who deserves a relationship with someone who makes you “better, not bitter.”

One of Tyrese’s most interesting points is about everyone’s least favorite subject: cheating. Tyrese argues that men grow up in a society that supports cheating, so it should be expected that a man will cheat. They are encouraged by their peers to become the ultimate man— “the hero”—by having sex with as many people as possible. When reading this I had about a hundred different arguments against this statement. It blew my mind that he was giving men an excuse for cheating. But he redeems himself when he tells women not to “own the cheat,” meaning that your man’s cheating is not your fault. It was his decision to sleep with another person and break the trust in your relationship. That’s what women need to take from this book: women are not responsible for their man’s poor decisions. If he decides that a one night stand is worth risking your relationship, you need to make your own decision and say goodbye to that mess. Manology is a great book to read if you want to learn about yourself and discover some of the finer details about your man’s mind. So go grab the book or download it on your electronic handheld, the lessons learned will be worth your time.

Image Source: premierecollectibles.com

Bentley University