Where to go for Ice-Cream in a Post-Friendly’s World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

With final exams fast approaching, most Bentley students can agree that we’re all itching for summer vacation to begin already.  However, a common topic has been brought up recently by many of my friends and classmates regarding their normal summer activities.  “What are we going to do this summer now that our Friendly’s just closed?!” Oh yes this is a very sore subject to most people, whose first memories of going to Friendly’s for their kid’s meals and Cone Head sundaes are still fresh in their minds today.  While many of our precious Friendly’s Restaurants are closing, here is a list of alternative ice cream joints where you can still fulfill your sweet tooth desire while having a relaxed place to hang out with your friends, just like we all did at Friendly’s!

BEN AND JERRY’S
This is one of America’s favorite ice cream brands!  Head on over to your local “scoop shop” where you will be greeted by employees wearing the iconic tie-dye shirts and baseball hats (sounds like a nice dress-code to me!)  Here you can get any flavor from the classics such as Cherry Garcia, Phish Food, or Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough to the new pop-culture referenced flavors like Stephen Colbert’s Americone Dream or Jimmy Fallon’s Late Night Snack.

PINKBERRY
This is a unique frozen yogurt shop where you don’t have to feel the least bit guilty for indulging!  Pinkberry has healthy and creative frozen yogurt flavors which at first sound a bit strange, but after a free small sample, many people find the most out-there flavors to be their favorite!  The most popular flavors amongst my friends are Chocolate, Peach, Pomegranate and Coconut! Also, the toppings you can choose to put on top of your frozen yogurt transform your cup into your very own creative dessert! The toppings range from types of cereal, fruits, chocolate, and beyond!

COLDSTONE
Coldstone Creamery allows you to create your perfect custom dessert just to your liking! You have to make the difficult decision of what flavor you’ll pick (Anything from the classics to some exciting flavors like cheesecake, cake batter, and cinnamon bun!)  Then you can pick your toppings which include a LARGE variety of candies, cookies, and fruits.  You then get to watch your creation be made and mixed together right in front of you.  If you’re not drooling by the time you get your hands on your amazing dessert, my bet is plain and simple, something is VERY wrong with you.

Friendly’s Picture- http://www.friendlys.com/media/uploads/uploads/fric.jpg
Ben & Jerry’s- http://thesavvyshopper.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/benandjerry.jpeg
Pinkberry- http://dcist.com/attachments/Aaron%20Morrissey/2011_0725_pinkberry.jpg
Coldstone- http://vallcoshoppingmall.com/images/quick-service/coldstone-creamery.jpg

Bentley University Class of 2013. Marketing Major.
Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.