This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

“I’m in my _____ era” has been the quote for 2023 so far. I’m in my hot girl era, I’m in my headphone era, I’m in my self-care era. But what does this really mean?

Being in your “era” means that you’re reinventing yourself. Whether it’s your style, your hobbies, or your lifestyle, being in a new era gives you a chance to do something you’ve never done before and feel confident about it. For example, I’m currently in my gym era – I’ve been prioritizing waking up early to work out, going to the Dana Center, and trying out different workout routines. It’s been really exciting to get so invested in fitness as a way to build my confidence, and I feel great when I tell people I’m in my gym era.

I’ve seen a lot of talk about being in your “villain” era as well. This sounds iffy at first, but I think of a villain era as not giving a f@*# about what other people think and just doing you. Who cares about the haters, people who are judging what you’re doing or wearing, and peers who are just bringing you down with them? Wear that top to class even if you think your classmates will be staring at you. Give your ex the side eye when you pass them in the hall. Unfollow that toxic friend on Instagram. You may be the “villain,” but you’re actually being your own hero.

No matter what your era is, it’s never too late to reinvent yourself. It’s never too late to try a new style, start a new hobby, or change your career path. Every moment you spend being the person you don’t want to be, you’re only holding yourself back from your full potential.

What’s your “era,” and who do you really want to be?

Hi everyone! My name is Banmai Huynh and I am from Chelmsford, MA. I'm a Corporate Finance and Accounting major at Bentley University in Waltham, MA and I’m the President of our Her Campus Chapter. I joined Her Campus because I think it's a great creative outlet for college students. I like writing about my personal experiences, opinions, and recommendations! Thanks for reading!