This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

On Tuesday, April 10th at 6:30pm, “What Women Want”, an event sponsored by the Center for International Students & Scholars and funded by the Center for Women in Business will take place at Bentley. The event is “a forum on gender roles, identity, and equality in business and beyond” and is funded through a leadership grant from the CWB. The speakers include Dr. Rosalind Chait Barnett from Brandeis University, Aviva Luz Argote from Harvard University, and Chrissie Barsouian from Deloitte. Other speakers from Bentley include Dr. Danchise, Dr. Gulati, Dr. Nurick, and Ms. Mota. Students, faculty, and staff from the Bentley community will also act as facilitators for the event. The event will take place from 6:30-8:00pm in the LaCava Executive Dining Room (EDR).

We asked one of the event planners, Karla Mota, about the origins and “behind-the-scenes” aspects of the event. Check it out!

HCB: How did it feel to receive funding from the CWB for such an awesome event?

KM:We were just brainstorming different topics when this idea came up. We did not know how to go about it, but when we heard about the funding, it was extremely exciting for us as we were finally able to put our ideas into action. With this funding, we are able to raise awareness about this current issue by reaching out to a wider audience. We have also been able to invite some prominent speakers, both from Brandeis and Harvard University, to share their knowledge and experience regarding this issue. 

How did you choose the facilitators?

KM:When choosing the facilitators for the event, we chose students who are leaders on campus, staff members and faculty who we feel have impacted the Bentley community in a very positive way.  The facilitators also have some knowledge in this topic and are able to relate it to themselves, their experiences, or their lectures. Therefore, we feel they will be best suited for this role.

Why do you think that people should come to this event? What is the main benefit you hope that they will get out of it?

KM:People should come to this event because it will provide them the opportunity to understand the current role of women in business and its undiscovered potential. It will also allow students, faculty, and community members to share their perspectives and experiences in this regard.

The main benefit that we hope everyone will get out of this event is awareness regarding the impact that women can have in the workplace, how an inclusive environment could be beneficial for business, and the possibility of finding a balance between domestic work and one’s career.

Is this event mainly for women, or is it good for men to attend also?

KM:It is essential for men to attend because their perspectives are of vital importance. The men will be able to provide insight on how they see the role of women today and help in raising awareness about this issue. Men play a main role in the implementation of measures that can give women access to equal opportunities, both at home and in the workplace. 

The HC Bentley founder and President/Editor-in-Chief, Kathryn Burgner, will be a facilitator at the event, so we hope to see you there!

Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.