photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

What to Expect From Your Friendsgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time for family, and who is more important than your Bentley family? The people who you spend nine months of the year with, the ones who know your schedule as well as their own, who you live with and spend all your free time with, they deserve a celebration as well. Friendsgiving is a tradition as old as the real Thanksgiving, but it’s just as hard to plan today as it was with the Native Americans.

First, you have to decide who you want to come. Yeah you want it to be your Bentley fam, but what about that one person you’re really close with who doesn’t know your other friends as well? What about the two friends who low key hate each other and will cause a scene over the pumpkin pie? Be considerate in deciding who to share your food with.

Group chats are the death of me any day, but especially when trying to plan something. For Friendsgiving, inevitably, no one will want it at the same time as everyone else. Brace yourself for hundreds of texts asking if we can change the time and try to remember that, in some group messaging apps, you can just put in a poll to try to stop all of the messaging.

So now we have a date picked, but who is gonna host? Where is there enough room for everyone? Will their roommates care if we take over the common room? And most importantly, who is gonna be left with the dirty dishes when everything is said and done?

The next problem to tackle this Friendsgiving is the dishes: who is going to bring what? Let’s be real, not very many college students actually know how to cook. More importantly, maybe you don’t even have a full kitchen to be able to make anything. Because of this, everyone will be vying for the easy, microwavable dishes. We don’t want to end up with four bowls of stuffing, so someone needs to bring something else.

Another thing to take into account: is anyone vegetarian? Vegan? Will we accommodate them in all dishes or expect them to bring their own food? It’s Friendsgiving, so try to be nice to your friends.

Friendship, family, being grateful: that’s what this is all supposed to be about. Try to plan Friendsgiving and remember how you love these people. Get together with some delicious food, have a good time, and forget the college stress for a little while. And if the planning gets too intense, make sure someone offers to bring some wine (if you’re over 21, please drink responsibly).

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8

Allison Weed

Bentley '20

Allison Weed is a senior at Bentley University. She is majoring in Marketing with minors in Information Design and Corporate Communication, and International Affairs. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of the Bentley University Her Campus Chapter.