Career > Her20s

What to Do When Asked of Your Post-Grad Plans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

I’m a senior here at Bentley and you know what that means: Everyone wondering what I’m planning on doing after graduation. I have lots of opinions on what to say when someone brings it up so here we go.

Explain what you’re actually planning on doing

I guess this goes without saying, but an option is always to just tell people what you actually have planned for graduation. This definitely sucks when you don’t really have anything planned, but it’s okay to admit you’re still working on it because there’s nothing wrong with that.

Ask them what their plans are, or if it’s someone older ask them what they did

Turn it back on them. Even younger students or friends probably have some sort of summer plans and people usually like to talk about themselves. If it’s someone older, they can tell you about what they did and maybe they’ll have some advice.

Tell them it’s rude to bring up

I guess some people don’t realize this but being reminded that the future is uncertain kinda sucks. Chances are, if you’re talking to someone who is about to graduate, they’ll let you know what their post-grad plans are if they have them, so there’s no need to ask. If they don’t know yet, they probably spend a lot of time thinking about it and don’t need to talk about it anymore. It’s best not to stress about these things.

Change the topic entirely

Simple but effective evasion. If you come up with an interesting enough new topic, they’ll hopefully completely forget that they even asked to begin with. Possible topic ideas include global warming, the Israel/Palestine conflict, Trump’s politics, and videos of cute puppies.

Come up with a completely ridiculous lie

Maybe you’ve been recruited by the CIA? Maybe come May you’re gonna move to Antarctica and become its first permanent resident. Who’s to say you aren’t actually gonna go to a small Southern town and open up a bakery, as is your life long dream. Just lie and hopefully one of two things will happen: they’ll know you’re lying to avoid the questions and won’t ask again or they’ll actually believe you.

Cry

(This picture was a screenshot I took)

That’ll teach them a lesson.

Just walk away from them and cut them out of your life entirely

Also teaches them a lesson. Cut the toxic people out of your life. If you ask me, the end of college seems like the right time to burn bridges and lose friends, just get an early start on it.

Whatever you end up saying when someone asks you about after graduation, remember that it’s okay to not know yet. Especially at Bentley, it can be really easy to forget that you still have time. Even if you end up taking a few months off before you find something, there is nothing wrong with that. Don’t let anyone else get you down, it’ll all work out in the end.

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Allison Weed

Bentley '20

Allison Weed is a senior at Bentley University. She is majoring in Marketing with minors in Information Design and Corporate Communication, and International Affairs. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of the Bentley University Her Campus Chapter.