Style > Beauty

We Tried It: The Magic Makeup Remover Cloths

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

In case you haven’t gotten the memo, removing your makeup before bed every night is a must for a healthy skincare routine. If you neglect this pivotal step of your beauty regimen, leftover makeup residue will linger in your eyes and skin—making you susceptible to breakouts, eye infections, and an overall feeling of griminess. Admittedly, though, as busy and sometimes-lazy college students, it’s easy to forget to take the day’s makeup off—especially after a long night out on the weekends.

Unsurprisingly, this has led many of us to employ the ultra-convenient, disposable makeup remover wipes—a speedy lifesaver for any makeup-wearer. There are, however, a few notable considerations to account for when using them; namely, the fact that you have to constantly replenish upon the disposable wipes about every month, as most packs contain 25 to 30 units. For those of us with sensitive skin, we also have to be particularly mindful of the ingredients used—not to mention the fact that the disposable nature of the wipes isn’t exactly eco-friendly.

Enter: the Magic Makeup Remover Cloths. These ultra-plush polyester facial cloths are designed to effortlessly remove makeup by just adding water (yes, you read that correctly). With no chemicals, these all-natural, machine-washable wipes are reusable—claiming to sustain up to 1,000 washes. When these bad boys caught my eye, they seemed far too good to be true—so naturally, I had to give them a go.

Before even trying to remove my makeup, I was entranced by the super soft, microfiber material that felt delightfully gentle on my skin. After wetting the cloth with warm water, it took just a couple quick swipes with minimal pressure to rid the entirety of my eye makeup—even my long-lasting mascara. Though I don’t ordinarily wear face makeup, I put some on for the purpose of this experiment and found myself highly impressed by the effectiveness of this towelette. Frankly, it’s no wonder they call these cloths “magic,” because they seem to defy logic in their ability to remove makeup with a shocking degree of ease.

If you have a relatively simple makeup routine, one cloth will definitely last for a few uses before requiring a wash. I purchased a four-pack of the Magic Makeup Removers from my local discount store for just $4.99, but you can also find them online and in stores near you. Sephora sells the Original Makeup Eraser brand cloth for $20.00, and Amazon features completely comparable variations that range in price and quantity, like this 3-pack for $7.69. If you’re looking for a longer-lasting, effective, and gentle alternative to makeup wipes, this editor would certainly recommend giving these towelettes a try; I’m sure you’ll be just as mesmerized by them as I was!

Images: 1 / 2

Native New Yorker Brooke Camarda has had her eclectic share of jobs—from the runways of NYFW to the haunted hallways of NYZ Apocalypse. Commonly known by her alter ego of Wonder Woman, there's no task or adventure that the skydiving-enthusiast isn't willing to take on. She loves typography and cappuccinos almost as much as she loves her (very) big family, and is thrilled to be writing for Bentley University's chapter of Her Campus.