Tuesday 10: Top 10 iPhone Apps That Are A Total Game Changer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

While most of us have the standard apps for our iPhones that everyone has, I know I’m always looking for cool new toys to occupy my time. Check out these 10 great apps that I’ve come to love! 

If This Than That (IFTTT) – “Mind Blown” doesn’t even begin to describe how I felt when I first discovered IFTTT this past summer. IFTTT uses “recipes” that users have created to essentially put the internet to work for you. Want a text with your alarm to remind you it’s raining out? How about having all new contacts added to your phone sent to a spreadsheet in Google Docs? IFTTT can do that. Ladies – there’s even a “creeper” recipe that will automate a fake excuse phone call to your device for those nights when that frat star just can’t seem to take a hint.

My Fitness Pal – Ever need a good source of motivation to get healthy that’s not your organic food eating/protein-powder-taking/10 miles-a-day/fitness obsessed best friend? Say hello to My Fitness Pal. Just briefly tell MFP about your goals, body type, and activeness, and the app will tell you what types of foods you should be eating, how many calories to consume a day, and so on. Use this app to keep track of your food intake and exercises in a daily journal to have a running record of your progress. 

Fooducate – Whether you’re on a pre-summer health kick or are just looking to eat a bit of a cleaner diet, this app will quickly become your best friend. Easy to use, Fooducate gives a letter grade to the foods you’re eating. Just scan the barcode of the packaging or browse for its title and Fooducate will let you know what the deal with your meal is.

Evernote – I don’t know about you, but I find myself writing to-do lists all the time. And then I lose them. If you were to sift through my laundry every week you would find several crumpled up notes that I had written that week, and probably a few bullets on each note that I had totally spaced on completing. Evernote changes that. With Evernote, you’re hidden potential to become super organized will be found. Take notes, make lists, set reminders and alarms, and even pull content to remember for later from Safari and other apps. You may even see a direct correlation between your Evernote usage and how much less frustrated your Mom becomes with you because you finally can remember things.

Photosynth – In my opinion, one of the cooler non-social photography apps out there. Sure you have a panoramic option on your regular iPhone camera, but with Photosynth you can take full 360®  panoramic shots, while capturing vertically as well as horizontally. I find it to be much easier to use, and the option of being able to capture with a full screen is a huge perk. Now you never have to forget the intricate detailing of your penthouse in Trees. 

[pagebreak]

Drop Box – You know that pesky little notification that comes up on your phones that tells you don’t have enough storage on your phone for one last video at Club Mein Bowl? Total buzzkill, right? Enter Drop Box. Simply upload your photos, videos, documents and more to this app (which will synch with your laptop, desktop and/or tablet) and they’ll be stored and protected so you can do a worry-free spring cleaning of all those stored prom photos you just can’t seem to delete.

Google Drive – For when you’re doing a group project and you don’t feel like opening up your laptop to sign up for a part or make an edit. There have been countless occasions when I’ve needed to access my Google Docs, but I’m not around a computer. (AKA the professor shut off the wifi in the room and I’m not done yet.)

Shazam – Not to be confused with Shaq classic “Kazaam”, Shazam will tell what song is playing on the radio, coming out the TV, or even getting stuck in your head at the grocery store in a matter of seconds, and store that song for you in case you don’t remember later.

Checkout 51 – Call me a nerd, but I love grocery shopping. I love going into Whole Foods (okay…Shaws) and picking out my meals for the week. What I don’t love, however, is spending money. Thus my dilemma. That’s where Checkout 51 comes in. Each week, the app will update a new list of groceries and brands that if purchased, will give you cash back. You may not be planning on buying everything on the list, but over time your accumulated cash back will grow, and once you hit the $20 mark, you can literally receive a check for $20. If you’re the patient type, keep growing your account and see how much you can build up – there’s no limit!

Spending – As a friend of mine who works a bank recently warned me, online banking apps can be risky. With spending, you enter your current balance, and then each time you make a deposit, withdrawal, or purchase, you take just a couple of seconds to enter the amount and what it was for. From here, Spending will update your balance and show a list of what you’ve purchased and/or deposited that month. It’s a great way for anybody to keep track of their checking accounts without having to live in constant fear that a rando in your CIS class is hacking your bank accounts.

Photo Credits:

www. Business2community.com

www.asia-city.com

www.play.google.com

www.lexmark.com

www.itunes.apple.com

www.freetech4teachers.com

www.simplyfrugal.ca

www.progressionbydesign.com

Bentley senior majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications with a minor in Entrepreneurial Studies. Chapter President for HCB. Third Door Media intern. Karate aficionado. Shonda Rhimes super fan.
Bentley University